• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dvd Movies Soooo Quiet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

12am

Just bought a dvd rom drive and I was expecting great audio compared to the vcd rips I've been watching, but I was sadly dissapointed, first the volume is sooo low, I have to turn my audigy main vol up to 80% from 61% to hear things clearly. Not to mention my speakers are all cranked up. Also my surround appears not to be working as voices come out of my rears aswell. I have tried msidvd and nvdvd and they both have the same problem.

Now about the rears playing voices and stuff I have a dolby pro logic reciever hooked up to a bunch of speakers and then plugged into the rear out on my audigy. Now is the dvd software outputting all the sound to the reciever or what?

hmmm.....only thing i can think of, Is the volume knob on your dvd drive turned up all of the way? Not sure about the audio problems tho, I don't know too much in that area. Maybe check settings in the dvd program.

-CPFitz-

I use PowerDVD (came with the drive), and so I don't know if this will help you or not but.....

In the configuration, go to the Audio section. You should see a list of audio options like Dolby whatever and stuff like that. If you tell it to use stereo, the volume comes up a LOT. Since I don't have surround I keep it there, though I don't know what will happen to you if you do that. It might guess correctly, but it might not. Dunno. You'll just have to try!

....but that's assuming you have PowerDVD... :D
JigPu

Really? I have PowerDVD XP and a 2 channel soundcard and I always leave it at Dolby, it sounds better. But yes, the volume is at 100% but the speakers are only at 10%. :)

Well, it does sound really nice on my 2 speakers (almost as good as the setup in the living room), but it's just too quiet IMO. I allways have to crank up the volume in windows to an insane volume... :)

JigPu

Are you using digital outputs pluged into a dolby digital reciever?

there may be a setting to use digital output or ac-3

Back