• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the Maxtor 8mb cache drive any faster than the WD 88mb drives ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neville

Assuming that they have the same size platters and i think the only difference (and i really dont think it matters) is that Maxtor's drive is ata/133 ?

Any advice

Thanks
Neville

If I remember correctly in PCWORLD magazines tests the Maxtor performed poorly, even being outdone in access times by some of the smaller 2mb cache drives.

PhobMX said:
wds own em all, period, kuz ibms die easily..

ibm's do not die easily, only the 65gxp and 75gxp did, the problems ended with the 120gxp. I have not seen any reviews of the IBM 180GXP but i'm pretty sure that it's faster than western digital and it's quieter too. Not sure about the Maxtor 8mb cache.

The D740X maxtor hard drives are still the overall fastest drives hence there very fast 8ms access time. NO other hard drive out there can be as quick as this drive.

Even the WD 120GB Special edtion can be as fast as only 8.5ms if your lucky.

OC-Master

OC-Master said:
The D740X maxtor hard drives are still the overall fastest drives hence there very fast 8ms access time. NO other hard drive out there can be as quick as this drive.

that's completely false, the western digitals and ibm's are faster, look at reviews here www.storagereview.com

Last edited:
It really depends on how you define "fast". Is "fast" seeking the data quickly, is it acessing the data quickly once you're there, or is it transmitting it quickly once you've found it and opened it.

I would wager that the first and third are the most noticeable to human beings. First is on the order of seconds, second is on the order of ms (and what's 8.5ms vs 8ms to human perception), and the third is on the order of seconds, minutes, or more, depending on the file.

-- Paul

In any case, 3 western digital SE's in raid 0 should fill your PCI bus when reading lots of data. (my next upgrade!) How would you like to be able to move a whole CD's worth of data in 6 seconds?
So, the seek time is a little longer. Oh well.

Now that would be something else ... Heck, my original system didn't even have that much RAM! -- Paul

Neville said:
Assuming that they have the same size platters and i think the only difference (and i really dont think it matters) is that Maxtor's drive is ata/133 ?

Any advice

Thanks
Neville

There are five big factors in hard drive performance:

1) Spin rate, equal between the drives being discussed.

2) Data density, WD is a bit lower than Maxtor and IBM here, and this translates to higher sustained data transfer rates on some new Maxtors and the IBM GXP180 than the SE WD's produce. Data density also has an effect on seek performance, but is not as directly linked with it as it is with data transfer rates.

3) Seek performance, this is where the moden Maxtors really drop the ball. Seek performance is much worse on the latest Maxtors than even the drives like the preceeding D740X. WD is better here, and IBM better yet.

4) Cache size, WD clearly leads the pack here, and it matters more than anyone gave it credit for before the proof was produced by the SE series dominance over both the 2MB WD siblings and the competion's drives. Once IBM GXP180's become available with 8MB buffers though, their improved data density (which translates into improved data transfer rate) and seek advantage will allow them to clearly surpass the current WD SE.

5) Cache policy and optimization, an area where Maxtor has really dropped the ball recently. The primitive buffer management of the latest Maxtor designs really hampers their performance. Between this and the poor seek performance the newest Maxtors are not the drive to use for speed, even though they have very good sustained transfer rates. This area is a WD strength, with the firmware and buffer on the BB and SE drives outstanding. This factor combined with acceptable (but not leading) seek performance and the 8MB buffer is the winning package. At least until the 8MB GXP180's arrive, although IBM seems inclined to only use the 8MB buffer on the largest size (180GB) and charge a fortune for them.

Re: Re: Is the Maxtor 8mb cache drive any faster than the WD 88mb drives ?

larva said:

There are five big factors in hard drive performance:

1) Spin rate, equal between the drives being discussed.

2) Data density, WD is a bit lower than Maxtor and IBM here, and this translates to higher sustained data transfer rates on some new Maxtors and the IBM GXP180 than the SE WD's produce. Data density also has an effect on seek performance, but is not as directly linked with it as it is with data transfer rates.

3) Seek performance, this is where the moden Maxtors really drop the ball. Seek performance is much worse on the latest Maxtors than even the drives like the preceeding D740X. WD is better here, and IBM better yet.

4) Cache size, WD clearly leads the pack here, and it matters more than anyone gave it credit for before the proof was produced by the SE series dominance over both the 2MB WD siblings and the competion's drives. Once IBM GXP180's become available with 8MB buffers though, their improved data density (which translates into improved data transfer rate) and seek advantage will allow them to clearly surpass the current WD SE.

5) Cache policy and optimization, an area where Maxtor has really dropped the ball recently. The primitive buffer management of the latest Maxtor designs really hampers their performance. Between this and the poor seek performance the newest Maxtors are not the drive to use for speed, even though they have very good sustained transfer rates. This area is a WD strength, with the firmware and buffer on the BB and SE drives outstanding. This factor combined with acceptable (but not leading) seek performance and the 8MB buffer is the winning package. At least until the 8MB GXP180's arrive, although IBM seems inclined to only use the 8MB buffer on the largest size (180GB) and charge a fortune for them.

The Fluid Bearing D740X Maxtor hard drives have the Fastest record seek time ever besting all the competition! What are you talking about??

No-body else has 8.0ms seek time right now!
http://www.maxtor.com/en/documentation/quick_specs/diamondmax_plus_d740x_quick_specs.pdf

OC-Master

Back