• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling issues?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shl821022

I'm not sure if I'm gonna do water cooling yet but...

Are Danner Mag Drive pumps good for inline out-of-reservoir use? I heard they were not fully air tight and could let air into the system when not submerged...

Also do they (the strong ones) really emmit electromagnetic fields that could corrupt hard drives and distort monitors?

Also, what would I have to buy and do to attach 3/8 " mcmaster silicon (danger den) tubing to this pump which has 1/2" NPT (what's that mean) input ouputs?

Can tubing of the same size but different materials (like silcion or vinyl) actually be different sizes?

shl821022 (Jul 05, 2001 11:36 a.m.):
I'm not sure if I'm gonna do water cooling yet but...

Are Danner Mag Drive pumps good for inline out-of-reservoir use? I heard they were not fully air tight and could let air into the system when not submerged...

Also do they (the strong ones) really emmit electromagnetic fields that could corrupt hard drives and distort monitors?

Also, what would I have to buy and do to attach 3/8 " mcmaster silicon (danger den) tubing to this pump?

Can tubing of the same size but different materials (like silcion or vinyl) actually be different sizes?

I do not know, I have a Eheim

Yes, it is possible, if you have it right up next to your hard drive. Most of them do not cause a problem. If you are concerned you can make a shield out of a piece of metal or aluminum foil.

Hose clamps or zip ties work well.

Plastic type hoses do not react with the coolant, you can mix types with no problems. When you change sizes it slightly affects coolant flow. If you go from large to small you increase pressure, but decrease volume. The opposite is also true.

Welcome, good luck and enjoy!

I think someone else asked the same question of whether a HDD, in the proximity of a pump will get corrupted, and the answer is that it's pretty safe. Keep them apart, ie. no touching, if you're not taking any chances. I've stacked floppy drives and 80mm fans (and other HDDs) right above my own HDDs and they're all fine today.

BTW, switching from large diameter hoses to smaller diameter ones puts more strain on your pump. Your pump will need to overcome more pressure and hence will output lesser flowrates, due to the constriction. Sure, you'll increase the static pressure in all lines but what for? What you need in heat transfer is flowrate. Ever wondered why your pump is rated at a MAX head or MAX flowrate at 0 head/pressure (gauge)?

Back