• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copper Foot Super Orb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nathan Detroit

Registered
Living in a small city in Canada makes it difficult to come up with good cooling options(without ordering stuff from far away!), the best heatsink I could find was a super orb. I've modified it so that I can use it on my Slot 1 450 Katmai, and it's not too bad. But it could be better, I'm switching to water cooling so I don't need it anymore, and it needs a new base.
So my idea is why not modify it like this:Copperfoot Blorb

Give it a copper base drilled for socket A motherboard mounting, throw it on girlfriends Tbird and see what it can do...

Anybody tried this? Any helpful suggestions?

And I quote this sentence from the last paragraph of the article:
"This can't be a gigantic improvement because it's a 2 dollar fix on a 15 dollar part, but it may make a few degrees difference..."
It MAY make a few degrees difference... ie. no measurements to back-up effort -looks like blind faith to me.

I've not come across this article till now but suddenly I know why the BLOrb sucks. The base and the fins are not one piece -not even soldered!! This cross-sectional area connecting the base (where the heat's coming from) and the fins (where the heat is thrown away) is small indeed! This is one serious thermal resistance -even with the thermal goop used. I don't see how attaching a copper base plate is going to make things any better. Most high-end aluminium HSFs have a copper inlay base to help 'spread' the heat from the small area of the CPU core (about 1 cm2) -or are at worse a gimmick as someone hinted at in this posts the last time. Since the BLOrb covers the GPU as a whole, there isn't much sense in having a copper base to even out heat distribution. Even if it's copper or silver, or gold, or flawless diamond, every material between the hot and cold sinks sum up to be THERMAL RESISTANCE.

...oh, sorry. Got carried away by that aricle...
Anyhow, if you can mate that copper plate (not too thick. One or two milimeters' good enough) nicely with the base of your SuperOrb, then go for it. But usually this would involve machine press fitting so I'm not sure how you're gonna do that. Is your girlfriend sporting enough? Then by all means try it out.

...oh, sorry. Got carried away by that aricle...
Anyhow, if you can mate that copper plate (not too thick. One or two milimeters' good enough) nicely with the base of your SuperOrb, then go for it. But usually this would involve machine press fitting so I'm not sure how you're gonna do that. Is your girlfriend sporting enough? Then by all means try it out.

Nathan Detroit (Jul 05, 2001 03:19 p.m.):
Living in a small city in Canada makes it difficult to come up with good cooling options(without ordering stuff from far away!), the best heatsink I could find was a super orb. I've modified it so that I can use it on my Slot 1 450 Katmai, and it's not too bad. But it could be better, I'm switching to water cooling so I don't need it anymore, and it needs a new base.
So my idea is why not modify it like this:Copperfoot Blorb

Give it a copper base drilled for socket A motherboard mounting, throw it on girlfriends Tbird and see what it can do...

Anybody tried this? Any helpful suggestions?
stick it on your girlfriends tbird, what the f***, it will fry

most deaf (Jul 07, 2001 05:11 a.m.):
stick it on your girlfriends tbird, what the f***, it will fry

Wow, I'd forgotten about this post as I can't get the copper until this week. I'd gotten an email from someone I'd asked about on this topic, and came looking for it. Then there's this posting. What the hell is this?! Holy Crap most deaf where's the need to be so damned rude? If you don't think it will work then say so, if you have a good reason then add that too. If you are going to be unneccesarily rude then do it somewhere else, as I am not interested in it.

Back