• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help for a first time builder. Specs needed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZathrothATL

This will be my first time building a computer. Why do i want to build one you say? More stuff for my money since budget is a huge obstacle right now. 2nd. I like too learn new things. Also the only thing i use my system is for school research documentation. And the main reason i use it for games. I play MMO games like Everquest and hopefully on-comeing Star wars galaxys

My specs i would like to acheive rely on this:
Very stable system
Always reliable
Doesnt have to be top end everything
O/C options later is a wanted feature (I dont know how to o/c yet but i would like to learn later)
very reliable mobo
512 mb of ram
GE ti4200 for now (I will upgrade later to a 9700 pro or nv30 when $$ approves)
Hardrive-60 gig (I only use 13 gig of the 30 right now)
____

Thanks for any advice suggestions or sources for more information in advance =)

<edit> My budget is around 1000 -/+ 200. Also this budget also begs for a new monitor

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forums!

Here's some estimates and suggested components for you (if you'd consider an AMD processor).

$80 = Win XP Home operating system
$55 = AMD XP 1600+
$55 = 400w Sparkle power supply
$65 = Chieftec tower case
$20 = Thermalright SK6+ cooler
$145 = Kingston RAM PC2700 512MB
$80 = Abit KX7-333 motherboard
$100 = Western Digital 80GB Special Edition WD800JB hard drive
$100 = Envision 19" monitor (See Cyber Deals - Sale ends today)

Not everything you'll need but some pretty nice stuff.

Last edited:
Check out this thread.

I posted an idea for a computer on the cheap. With your less heroic budget, I'd reccomend you go the AMD route. Because 1) AMD has more speed for your buck, and 2) i'm such a total AMD fanboy.

I'd reccomend a good KT333 chipset board, like an EpoX or Abit. An AMD 1600XP+ would be a great chip for you, as they are very inexpensive, and have always been known to be great O/Cers.

DEFINITLY get a top of the line heatsink, like a SLK-800 or an Alpha 8045, as for not a lot more money, a high quality heatsink can make all the difference. also you'll want around a 50cfm fan on your heatsink. or you can get a very powerful 80mm fan (like a delta or a Vantec Tornado) and hook it up to a fan controller so you can lay on the air when you need to. and be sure and apply a thin layer of Artic Silver 3 (AS3) between the heat sink and the chip

Also, go for a Abit Geforce4Ti4200 or a Alberton Geforce4 ti4200 turbo. (if you want the Alberton, don't buy it from newegg, as I hear they have a bad batch of boards that don't O/C as well).

I'd reccomend a Western Digital, or maybe a Maxtor HDD. a WD Special Edition is a very fast, proven HDD that you can't go wrong with. Recient IBM drives (especally the 60GXP and 75GXP models)are proving to be quite shoddy, I've had two 60gxps and a 75gxp die on me alone, so stay away from those.

Get a good PSU! A bad PSU can KILL stability. I'd go for an Enermax 351w or greater PSU. I run a Enermax 431w myself. Some people like those Antec TruPower jobs, but after one shorted out on me while trying to turn my rig on, I can't whole-heartly reccomend them.

Good ram also helps stability. go for some crucial, corsair, or micron ram. bad ram can kill stability, and great ram definitly help your OC go that few extra mhz. Some Corsair XMS2700 or 3200 would be a great buy, make sure you get the kind with the faster (i.e. cas2) timings.

And, if you haven't noticed, I buy what I reccomend, because that's what i know the best :D
also, if at all possible, buy everything (cept the alberton, which is a rare expcetion) at newegg.com! i tell all the newbies this, as I had trouble finding a reliable, helpful reseller when i was starting out, and newegg is a total lifesaver!

sorry if i sound a little condecending, but I'm not too sure what you know already :( Anyways, welcome to the forums, and GOOD LUCK! Your fix custom box is always the most fun!

Last edited:
Just recently have i "really" got into computers. I dont know what all the terms mean or what they do. Like i know what fsb means (Front-side bus) but dont know what it does. Someone told me once i build my first rig. Ill learn alot and have a resource for reference on certain things. That it will answer alot of my questions

And what i mean by "really". I actually read about the history of them about linux etc. Not just useing it .

Also since my budget is very tedious. Should i wait till after christmas to buy parts? Or like on black friday? My budget will increase a lot if its after the new year.

and hopefully the nv30 will come out sometime *soon*, driving prices down further.
Just recently have i "really" got into computers. I dont know what all the terms mean or what they do. Like i know what fsb means (Front-side bus) but dont know what it does. Someone told me once i build my first rig. Ill learn alot and have a resource for reference on certain things. That it will answer alot of my questions

fsb is a componet in determining your total clock speed. clock speed is fsb * multiplier. multiplier is changes the frequency of the chip, front side bus is the speed at which everything communicates
MULTIPLIER
FSB

Namagomi said:
i dont really keep a close close eye on prices, but I'd assume that things would go down about 1 week or 2 after christmas.
Not as much as people assume. You won't see a price decline until mid january because stores are trying to empty their stock before the commercial tax season.

HardwareJedi said:
Hey Captain, why use 2 sticks of 256MB size when one 512 mb stick is recommended because one is supposed to be more stable than 2 and only $150 instead of $162 for 2 ?

Guess your not planning on overclocking it too much with a Retail HS/Fan on it either... ?

Hmm. Prices must have changed.
I just swapped them, thanks.

I HAD the Swiftech MCX462 selected in that list but it just went out of stock. I added the SK-7 with an adjustable YS Tech fan and the total is now $1,000.32
He'll get a better overclock if he unlocks the 1900+ AGOGA in the list. It's an underclocked 2000+ so it can overclock to 2100+ levels without breaking a sweat.

Overclocking with the multiplier is easier and limits the warrantee voiding to just your CPU.

Last edited:
After Xmas prices go down a littel, I've found April to be when you can get the best deals as clearance becomes available. Unfortunately the high end stuff I've come to adore never really makes it to a decent clearance price.

My dream system (What I may get if I can sell off the system in my sig)
XP 2000+
nForce 2 mobo (undecided/waiting)
2x512MB Corsair XMS

all for around $650
I reuse my case, hdd, vid card etc but they shouldn't total over $300 unless you want a nicer card than I have.

Well im building a system for really Star wars galaxy game coming out. Since only beta 2 has just started. Im guessing it will be about out mid january to feb. I will have about 1000 to spend. I'll keep learning and keep in touch captain since you seem to know what i should get. I dont know how to overclock. But i would like to learn and the system i have to have a option to overclock in the future. btw dont think i ever said TY captain and everyone for thier advice suggestions examples for my questions

Back