• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SB live on dual AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lonewolf1983

can i run an SB live DE 5.1 without hassles on an MSI k7d?
the sound on its onboard ac'97 is really bad (on gunshots in games)
Is there a certain driver that works best etc?

Cheers :)

SB live has had problems with duals and the creative drivers.
I recomend a Turtle Beach sound card. Good sound and stability.

I've heard nothing but good about the new 7.1 Hercules card. Its only $40 here in the states. There also releasing there Game Theater 7.1 in a week if you need the breakout box.

I have a K7D with a SBLive and it works perfectly. No problems whatsoever. I use the current drivers from Creative. I have another K7D with an Audigy, no problems with that one, either.
For gaming, the SBLive or Audigy are really the best soundcards, because of their EAX capability and good surround sound.
For music and such, Turtle Beach seem to be the most reliable answer.

cmcquistion said:
I have a K7D with a SBLive and it works perfectly. No problems whatsoever. I use the current drivers from Creative. I have another K7D with an Audigy, no problems with that one, either.
For gaming, the SBLive or Audigy are really the best soundcards, because of their EAX capability and good surround sound.
For music and such, Turtle Beach seem to be the most reliable answer.

Most of the problems with the SB live have been addressed but it may take some work depending on the board and setup.
I have used them with success. I don't mind if I have to troubleshoot.

Here is a thread about fixes for Audigy problems.

There are also some Audigy drivers from Compaq (377 MB)here that are good drivers for SMP systems, although you have to modify the package. Go here for more Audigy advice and instructions on what to do with the Compaq drivers to get them to work in non-Compaq systems.

I know this is all Audigy related information and not SB Live, specifically, but I thought you might want to know and some of these Audigy fixes are applicable to the SB Live, too, if you have any problems, that is. As I said, before, I've never had any problems with either card.

I didn't have trouble with mine in games but MP3s and movie files are where I had problems. Too much skipping and crackling for my tastes and none of the mentioned fixes worked for me.

Turtle Beach did solve my problem...Philips and Hercules cards are supposed to work very well, too.

I have been running SBLive 5.1's in my AMD duallies for a long time. They have never once caused me problems...no pops, farts, crackles or whistles.

I have only just replaced the SBLive in my main workstation for an ESI Waveterminal 192X which sounds pretty sweet and also gives no problems.

I used the compaq drivers as noted above which did not solve the problem. Reducing the hardware acceleration reduces sound responsiveness in games which is totaly unacceptable. I will be purchasing a Hercules 7.1 sound card soon and dumping the audigy.

I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't get your Audigy to work. The thread topic, however, is specifically asking about the Audigy coupled with the MSI K7D Master motherboard, not Tyan boards.

cmcquistion said:
I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't get your Audigy to work. The thread topic, however, is specifically asking about the Audigy coupled with the MSI K7D Master motherboard, not Tyan boards.

The thread topic is actually asking about the SBLive and not the Audigy (thanks for the links on the drivers though) on a dual AMD. The dual Tyan boards are also closer related to the MSI than the Audigy is to the SBLive.

Jumping on people for posting helpful comments will just make them take their advice elsewhere. It is quite obvious from the few threads that I have responded to here that you feel any other members advice isn't needed. I am glad that this forum has such a knowledgeable and helpful person as yourself :rolleyes:.

My apologies. I wasn't trying to trash anyone, and you are correct, I misspoke, when I said Audigy and not SB Live. Sometimes, I'm thinking one thing and I say (or type) another.

I don't understand why you think I have been jumping on people for posting helpful comments?

The only threads that you and I have in common are this one, this one, where I welcomed you the the forums and presented information to support both of our opinions, and this one, where I presented some links to threads in which people had claimed success with XP2400's and the MSI K7D Master.

Last edited:
theotherphil said:

The thread topic is actually asking about the SBLive and not the Audigy (thanks for the links on the drivers though) on a dual AMD. The dual Tyan boards are also closer related to the MSI than the Audigy is to the SBLive.

Jumping on people for posting helpful comments will just make them take their advice elsewhere. It is quite obvious from the few threads that I have responded to here that you feel any other members advice isn't needed. I am glad that this forum has such a knowledgeable and helpful person as yourself :rolleyes:.

No Kidding...I'll see you at the 2cpu forums Phil;)

Back