• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Never Buy A Quantum Bigfoot!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KLowD9x

This really sux...I get on my computer this morning hoping to listen to some DSP enhanced Fear Factory. Well...I click play...and Winamp starts scrolling through all of my songs till it reaches the bottom. Im like WTF? I go check the drive...and theres nothing in my CDs folder but...one file that has some crackheaded name. It also had a size of "0". I was like...OH SHXT! So, I ran chkdsk hoping to get my files back. No go, I now have 3154 *.chk files in a found.000 directory. All of the files are MP3 but they now have no ID3 tag or a file name. The only way I can figure out what they are and rearrange them back into their directorys is to listen to them all and rename them. Too bad that would take all damn day! So, since all of the CDs I had on there are mine...im just going to spend all day ripping them AGAIN. I hate the way a CD player sounds...its so bland. Thats why I rip, I like the way WowThing sounds. ( www.wowthing.com ) ( http://classic.winamp.com/plugins/detail.jhtml?componentId=1724 - To download the Winamp plug in). I suggest to everyone that you always make a backup of your drives, especially if youre overclocked and have cheap drives. Also, I suggest that you pick up the plugin, youll defenitely notice a big difference.

KLowD9x:cry: :bang head :temper:

I won't, they don't sell them anymore :D, but quantum where the best hard drive company, my quantum atlas V scsi is still going strong :cool:

I've never owned one of these (Bigfoot drives), but in the couple of years being a member here, I've seen too many posts like this to say it's abnormal for a Bigfoot to go bad.

But, Quantum was bought out by Maxtor a while back...I don't think that they make any drives under the Quantum name anymore...

Oddly, this is posted as I'm about to return a Quantum drive under RMA. (it's a 10.2 Fireball lct though)

I've had good luck with Maxtor, and Western Digitial. That's my experience. I'm sure there are those who've gotten drives from these two companies that have gone bad too, so they might disagree.

I just know from what I've read in the Forums here, that if I see the "Bigfoot" name, to look elsewhere for a drive, no matter how appealing the price tag.

B.

i'm not a big fan of the bigfoots but i can happily say i have a 12.5 Gb bigfoot that has run solid for 5 years and another in my sister computer that has run just as long.

i had some quantum disks and they were damn strong, one has a very deep break in the middle of the disk and it worked with that a few years... that was a good disk, i haven´t have one of the new, but i have a lot of respect to that company
i think that probably that was the mobo or the OS, who knows

actually i have as paper weight ANY disk of any brand that you can possibly ask... quantum, seagate, maxtor, WD, etc etc etc, even an Caviar original of 80 MB :eek:

hey i have a wierd disk of 1gig, (one of the very first) it is very slim and guess what is the name?? "Palladium" hehe i think i will listen to that name way often next year and not about the disks

Back