• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pads on AMD cpu's, should I remove them?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flixotide

The subject says it all.. would I gain better thermal coupling by removing the pads on my AMD cpus?

I dunno why.. but I believe they prevent proper coupling between the copper base of my HS and the CPU core... but I may be kidding myself..

Cheers, Flixotide

no, they protect the core when you set the heatsink on the chip but when you clip it on the pads are too soft to prevent proper contact.

well, accualy, on mine i have a shim in place and the lil faom feet were accualy preventing my WB from sitting flat on the core it was slightly cockeyed, so i took them off and just used my shim and belive me i tightend the srews on the WB down it alot of force and i've gotten about a 5*C cooler readings now see sig below

Matrix78 said:
well, accualy, on mine i have a shim in place and the lil faom feet were accualy preventing my WB from sitting flat on the core

the pad might have been getting pinched between the shim and the WB. i have a shim on mine and the pads haven't caused a problem.

i just scraped mine wiht my finger nail if u wana be neat and clean about it then ya u could clean off the lil glue with alcohol

Back