• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

formating my Win2k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AmdPopper

Registered
I HATE WIN 2K!! worst thing ever. I cant reformat it eighter. i need to know what i gotta do to take everything off this computer and instal windows XP on it. thats all thanks you

What service pack are you running?And for that matter whats wrong?I have windows 2000 on all of my computers and on many of my friends computers.I hate windows Xp.

I do admit 2000 is a slow booter but I believe it has something to do with the type of mother board you have.You still haven't told me what these problems are.I need more info before I can help you.

the problem is i have 3 installs of win2k and its taking up alot of room i want to completely reformat and reinstall windows on it

i cant stand having 3 intallations of win 2k on my machine. it gives me the boot selector thingy before i boot it all the way up. thats all i want to reformat thats all.

Ok I understand now.Ok I'm going to assume you have a bootable windows 2000 cd.Make sure in your bios that the first bot device is cd-rom.Then put windows 2000 setup disk in the drive.Save and exit.When prompted to boot from the cd do so.When you get to the Welcome to Setup screen select "To setup Windows 2000 now press enter".After you get past the eula the setup will prompt you to do one of two options.Press Esc to continue with installing a fresh copy of window 2000.Then when you get to the partitions screen select your C: partition and press the d key.It will then prompt you to press enter to continue with the format.After that I believe it prompts you to press the L key to delete the partition.After that select the unpardoned space at the partition screen and format it under ntfs.
Hope this helps

AmdPopper said:
the problem is i have 3 installs of win2k and its taking up alot of room i want to completely reformat and reinstall windows on it

i cant stand having 3 intallations of win 2k on my machine. it gives me the boot selector thingy before i boot it all the way up. thats all i want to reformat thats all.

You have "3" Windows 2000's on your harddrive??
How many partitions on your drive?

Just answer his question guys.

he wants to format and install XP Pro.

Boot of the XP Pro CD, format (and even repartition if you want to) the drive (in XP setup), and you're good to go.

if you need a step by step drop me a PM

First of all, Windows 2000 is not "the worst thing ever".

To get into your problems, I want to know exactly what you've been doing. If you reply "nothing it just dunt wurk", I'll remind you that installing every Bonzi Buddy clone from hell to breakfast counts as "something".

i currently have 3 installs of win2k due to problems and it takes umm about 5 min to boot and it only has 5 tray icons

If you've had to re-install 2kPro three times, then either

a) you've been playing musical Recycle Bin with your WinNT/System32 directory, or
b) your hardware is so overclocked that your HDD is chewing up files, or
c) your hardware is damaged and is causing data corruption.

Windows XP will not save you from those. In fact, if any of your hardware is damaged, there's no software anywhere that'll keep a flaky hard drive from loosing files. You've been warned.

I still want to know how the hell you managed to do this...

The boot thing is easy to fix. Just edit your boot.ini file.

oh yea... i cant get into msdos when i restart thats a problem =)

Try to be nice...

It's an NT OS. There is no DOS-style component underlying the GUI. If you're desperate to get to DOS, XP won't solve your problem. I recommend dual-booting between 98SE and 2kPro/XP. That's what I do, and it works great.

If you want to format from DOS and not the NT installer, then go to www.bootdisk.com , grab the 98SE bootdisk, boot from it, and type:

Code:
A:\FORMAT C: /Q

Then hit enter. That'll toast everything on your HDD. From there you can boot from the XP CD, and install XP.

ThePerfectCore said:
If you want to format from DOS and not the NT installer, then go to www.bootdisk.com , grab the 98SE bootdisk, boot from it, and type:

Code:
A:\FORMAT C: /Q

Then hit enter. That'll toast everything on your HDD. From there you can boot from the XP CD, and install XP.

I'll just step in here for a second . . .

First, TPC, please turn down the vitrol. Win2k isn't for everybody. If he doesn't like it, that's his thing. :)

Second. Rather than quick formatting, you'll want to delete your Windows paritions first w/ fdisk, then unconditionally format them, then install your XP on them.

Wommalong said:

:eh?: Correct me if i am wrong but you can' t format the c: drive cos you cann't see the drive (NTFS thing)... if i am wrong then how do you see the c: drive cos i want to go to windows 2000 Pro again but i cant see the drive where the OS is installed to format it:confused:

Boot off your Win2000 CD. Then you can partition/format from inside Win2k setup.

AmdPopper said:
it gives me the boot selector thingy before i boot it all the way up. thats all i want to reformat thats all.

Three w2k's on the hdd??
It kinda sounds like that if he has a choice of 3 w2k's to choose from.

I agree with what the above poster said. Do you actually have three different installs of 2kPro, or is your computer just confused. If your sole problem is the boot screen and the time it takes to boot up, there is a lot to be done. I'm not trying to turn you on to 2kPro and off of XP, I'm just saying that formating should genereally be considered a last resort (ie you've hosed your system).

If your boot manager is just confused and you really only have 1 install of 2kPro, just edit the boot.ini file (just search your C drive) and take out all but one instance of the installation. If you actually have three installs and you want to keep 'em, but the computer is waiting a few minutes for you to pick the right installation to boot in to, just change the amount of time for you to choose to something a little more reasonable like 3 seconds. I assure you that that is plenty of time to pick which install you want to load, because if you touch a key, the timer stops.

If you're really gung ho Windows XP, just insert your XP CD into the drive after setting your BIOS to boot from CD. When it gets to the prompt where it asks where you want to install it, just go ahead and delete every partition that you don't want by pushing D followed by L (I think it is). Once done, I think you type C to create a new partition. Partition out the drive however you like and let it format (I don't suggest doing a quick format, even if it is a very large drive . . . Do a complete format). After it's formatted the C partition, it will proceed to install XP. I assume you can figure that part out? It's point-and-click so it should be really easy for anyone to get done. If you've made more than one partition, the Windows Installer probably will not have formated any drive except the C drive. So when you get Windows all set up, you need to right click on any other partitions you've made (now listed as D, E, F and so on) and select Format. Choose NTFS or Fat32 (you need FAT32 if you want to use Ghost pre 2003 to make an image of your hard drive. It can read NTFS, but it will not write to anotehr drive formatted in NTFS. 2003 will write to NTFS). When it's formatted, you're all set. Once you've got all your files and programs installed and your updates "up-to-date", it might not be a bad idea to do a defragment and a scan disk. If it is a hardware error that is causing your 2kPro to puke, like somebody said, no OS on earth will fix it for you. If you've overclocked, try backing off a bit if you think it's a hardware thing.

And I am interested to know why you want XP Pro so badly. It's basically 2kPro with a blue GUI pasted on top. Granted, XP supports a lot more games and such (does it not?), but other than that, there's little difference.

Good luck. Ask more questions if you need more assistance

Z

zachj said:
I agree with what the above poster said. Do you actually have three different installs of 2kPro, or is your computer just confused. If your sole problem is the boot screen and the time it takes to boot up, there is a lot to be done. I'm not trying to turn you on to 2kPro and off of XP, I'm just saying that formating should genereally be considered a last resort (ie you've hosed your system).

If your boot manager is just confused and you really only have 1 install of 2kPro, just edit the boot.ini file (just search your C drive) and take out all but one instance of the installation. If you actually have three installs and you want to keep 'em, but the computer is waiting a few minutes for you to pick the right installation to boot in to, just change the amount of time for you to choose to something a little more reasonable like 3 seconds. I assure you that that is plenty of time to pick which install you want to load, because if you touch a key, the timer stops.

If you're really gung ho Windows XP, just insert your XP CD into the drive after setting your BIOS to boot from CD. When it gets to the prompt where it asks where you want to install it, just go ahead and delete every partition that you don't want by pushing D followed by L (I think it is). Once done, I think you type C to create a new partition. Partition out the drive however you like and let it format (I don't suggest doing a quick format, even if it is a very large drive . . . Do a complete format). After it's formatted the C partition, it will proceed to install XP. I assume you can figure that part out? It's point-and-click so it should be really easy for anyone to get done. If you've made more than one partition, the Windows Installer probably will not have formated any drive except the C drive. So when you get Windows all set up, you need to right click on any other partitions you've made (now listed as D, E, F and so on) and select Format. Choose NTFS or Fat32 (you need FAT32 if you want to use Ghost pre 2003 to make an image of your hard drive. It can read NTFS, but it will not write to anotehr drive formatted in NTFS. 2003 will write to NTFS). When it's formatted, you're all set. Once you've got all your files and programs installed and your updates "up-to-date", it might not be a bad idea to do a defragment and a scan disk. If it is a hardware error that is causing your 2kPro to puke, like somebody said, no OS on earth will fix it for you. If you've overclocked, try backing off a bit if you think it's a hardware thing.

And I am interested to know why you want XP Pro so badly. It's basically 2kPro with a blue GUI pasted on top. Granted, XP supports a lot more games and such (does it not?), but other than that, there's little difference.

Good luck. Ask more questions if you need more assistance

Z

2k will not load itself 3 times in the boot mgr. unless it's been installed 3 times. At that point there is no proper choice BUT a format.

And if he's already purchased XP, which i will ASSUME he has, he may as well use it. If not, a waste of money is all it would be.

Back