• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Powerful enough ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

minoukat

Well, I wanna know if my comp will be good to play UT2k3 ? Specs : P3 900MHz (100FSB), 192MB RAM (PC100), NVidia Vanta 16MB (tricked it to use AGP4x, and it's running at 115GPU/140Memory, or something like that, I can get it up to 150GPU/160Mem though). Will this system be good enough to play UT2k3 with a decent framerate ? (I'll have to lower graphics quality, I know, but could I still keep it high enough to get some eyecandy ?)

I'd lean towards no, honestly... :(

This game takes some decent power to fly. See "Rig 1" in my "sig"...I've added another stick of 256MB to it (512 total), and it can get shaky at times. At 256MB playing Team DM with 9 bots, all settings on normal, I start really getting low framerates.

RAM, and vid card. The P/// might work, but that's gonna need more memory, and a better vid card, IMHO.

I have a suggestion, you can sell the motherboard/ram/cpu and get a amd xp/motherboard/ddr ram for the same price. Then you'd have enough power :)

Batman@ said:
I have a suggestion, you can sell the motherboard/ram/cpu and get a amd xp/motherboard/ddr ram for the same price. Then you'd have enough power :)

good suggestion ... but then I'd have to get a new graphics card (it's onboard currently) which I'm too cheap to do. Also my parents wouldn't accept this ...

minoukat said:

good suggestion ... but then I'd have to get a new graphics card (it's onboard currently) which I'm too cheap to do. Also my parents wouldn't accept this ...

there is an asus board, with a gf2 built in, and costs only about $120 canadian, you can check that, just a suggestion if you will consider itt

I have known people who have gotten it to run decent with much tweaking and the lowest settings with a computer like that. But he said it still lageed on some levels and he had a better video card. O and he also has double the ram you have.

PC100 & PC133 is dirt cheap, maybe you could pick up a Gf2 Ti and add 256 mb of ram for well under $100 (US). Considering the game costs $35-$50 that might be an option if you can swing it.

OC Noob said:
PC100 & PC133 is dirt cheap, maybe you could pick up a Gf2 Ti and add 256 mb of ram for well under $100 (US). Considering the game costs $35-$50 that might be an option if you can swing it.

Thats a good idea. A while ago i picked up a 256 stick of pc1133 for 30$, and a radeon 7000 for 4)$ (after rebate) at frys. Im sure you could get cheaper at newegg or something. And the radeon 7000 can even run ut2k3 althouth at low resolutions and graphic settings.

o0OBruceLeeO0o said:

Thats a good idea. A while ago i picked up a 256 stick of pc1133 for 30$, and a radeon 7000 for 4)$ (after rebate) at frys. Im sure you could get cheaper at newegg or something. And the radeon 7000 can even run ut2k3 althouth at low resolutions and graphic settings.

Parents say we don't need more memory for the comps, they already have enough :rolleyes:. Anyways, here one of the cheapest prices I've seen for a R7000 was about 50-100 bux (CAN), and 256MB of PC133, last time I checked, was abot 50 $ too. Add this up with another 50-60 for the game, it's almost $150, which is too much to spend for playing one game imho ...

I had a Vanta Lt 16mb PCI card. 512mb RAM. 933mhz P3.

It ran but very slow frame rates and I had to turn all the eye candy off. You really should get more RAM. Do some chores earn the money and buy the gfx card and memory.

Use www.pricewatch.com to get it cheap.

Let me put it this way. My wife is running a celly 1.3ghz with 512megs of PC133 and a GF2MX400 64meg card and she can just play at 640x480 with everything turned to the lowest setting (I mean everything!). Its pretty nice on my rig but still I can't play with stuff turned up. I run the following:

Dual XP 1900+s
512meg REG DDR
GF4 Ti4200 64meg running 300x600
Dual 19" monitors

I'm looking to upgrade here system soon and prolly give her my video card and get a stronger one for myself. ;)

Cy

Don't look at it so much as spending $XXX.xx for this one game...there's a bunch of new titles out, or due out soon that will greatly benefit or require these items to be upgraded.

NOLF2 needs a bit more "oomph", anything based on the new Unreal engine will...Doom III, etc....

So, you're spending money to play UT2K3 now, but will have a better chance of running upcoming games too. The software is finally starting to catch up the hardware, my friend.... I've got a similar set up as Cy there...and I'm getting about the same results, with a GF2 MX400/single monitor no less...

*sigh* I was hoping this GF4 MX440 was gonna suffice, but I see that I really should have held off and gotten a Ti4400. And even then, it sounds like some can't get everything maxed out with one.

Winter's comin....get out and shovel some driveways and make some $$. ;)

Batman@ said:

there is an asus board, with a gf2 built in, and costs only about $120 canadian, you can check that, just a suggestion if you will consider itt

First, a built in gf2 probably wouldn't make it. I have a GF2-GTS AGP and it just limps by with every thing in my sig..

It is playable, but once you get into any of the team base games... You really notice the lag (in my case, it could be the fact that I'm still using PC-133)

It seems to be the general concensus that the makers of the game were VERY optimistic when they listed the minimum specs.

Get yourself a good AMD XP, 512mb ddr and at least a gf4 or radeon...

I'm looking at new ram and a new vid card myself..

I am running at 950 duron at 1018 and 640mg of ram and A hercules Kyro II 64mg vid card and i should have my copy today. I dont forsee any problems with running it as I havent had a problem running any type of game on my comp yet

attitudx said:
I am running at 950 duron at 1018 and 640mg of ram and A hercules Kyro II 64mg vid card and i should have my copy today.

the hercules kyro 2 will be a little slow on it, that's what i found out on the demo anyway.

I would agree with Johnny, not trying to knock your system at all but UT2K3 is a really heafty game and the specs on the box are not really realistic. Now this is good and bad. Good in that the game looks awesome when you can turn on all the eye candy! Bad, in that it takes very top hardware in order to do that. :/

We've been asking for killer games for a long time and we now have one...becareful what you ask for! :)

Cy

Back