• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fsb decisions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
ok the question revolves around my main rig in my sig.
i need more ram,i put it off this past month so i could by a large moniter and hdd's for my raid.
anyhow i gotta buy some and soon,128 is driving me nutz having to reboot several times a day.ram programs dont work IMO.

i can do 180fsb now with synch ram this is the highest the system will run.
i can run my ram outa synch at 186mhz.
so here is my question. is the cpu dieing at 180? i dont think its the mobo or the ram.

the reason i ask is if my current cpu tops out at 180fsb i might as well just by pc2700 c2,as most will run 180 c2.and save some bucks.

im thinking i need to drop my multi and max the fsb out 11X is the lowest ive been. the reason i havent is i start getting hdd corruption really bad above 180 also. this should be fixed once my raided hdd's go in.

any ideas or suggestions?

I dont see how a FSB can kill a CPU. The reason why you can not do higher than 180FSB is your ram. 180FSB is very very high for ram that was designed to be run at 133mhz only.

it could also be your motherboard. i have never used your board but it may not like high FSBs.

make sure you are runnin the latest bios etc as well.

yeh i know 180 has gotta be rough on the ram.but why can i do 186 asynch? thats why im asking. and what ive seen others can go upwards of 200 fsb with the mobo.

latest bios os in .1015 mabey i just need to buy the 3200 and cross my fingers?

I am pretty sure your ram is giving up on you what voltage are you using? heatspreader or no?

Ya 3200 would def be nice but also PC2700 or Pc3000 would be good if you dont wanna spend that much.

just consider that i have corsair XMS CL2.5 ram and it will only do 185mhz using 2-3-3-1t with 2.9v on the ram. It will do 200fsb using the default by spd timings w/ 2.65 v but the bandwith efficiency is so crappy it doesnt matter.

basically what i am saying is that if you are thinking of going corsair it is going to cost you because only their top of the line CAS 2 stuff performs superbly.

2.5v i believe. ive bumped it up before with no effect as the ram wont give it up anymore.

well i was wanten to buy it locally they have the xms 3000c2 there for $209
just a few bucks higher than newegg.less hassles for me also. im not thinking my current rig will do much over 200fsb anyhow.200 is my goal tho.

guess ill just pick that ram up.hate blowing $200+ for just a little stick of something but i guess worth it in the end.at least ddr will be around awhile. theres still a market for sdram so i guess its not gonna be a high cost waste.

I agree with you that if you can ran at 186 then it says the cpu can handle that speed. It has to be the ram giving up on you.

In my testing sync had a reasonably higher bandwidth than async at the same speed. You might test both ways at 180 to get a good comparison. :cool:

the 186 was async meaning 1.25x the fsb.
180 is my max sync.

yeh i do get better results set at sync.

but everyone is missing my point how is it i can run it 186mhz async? when it wont do over 180mhz sysnc? see what im getting at? mabey the mobo does something differant to let it run higher im not sure.this is why i was thinking the cpu might be fsb maxed out and not the ram.

but as with anything it might just be a fluke.i cant test it either as i dont want the hdd corruption. least till my raid setup goes in soon.when ever it finally arrives :S

Your rebooting problem could be eaisly solved by running linux.

ty for the insite gnu but rebooting isnt a problem. i would switch to linux but i cant stand command prompts. is one reason i hated dos with a passion. i am looking into lycoris tho :)

Try a couple different bios revisions to see if one goes higher than another. I FINALLY figured out that when I installed my new 2400 and was having problems due to a bad defogger unlock job on the L5, I tried updating to a BETA bios for my mobo 'cause I didn't want to believe my unlock was bad (it LOOKED fine...)

Anyhow, it dawned on me last night that it wasn't JUST my processor that changed in my setup, but that my bios did to. I flashed back to the OLD bios and now I'm hitting 201 fsb with a multi of 11.

But also, really good memory is worth the cash, IMO.

Hey Kosmic,
Those are some insane O/Cs you are reaching...I have the same motherboard and video card with a 1600 AGOIA and 2700 Corsair XMS. My CPU won't go over 160fsb (won't do 167 either) even after upping the voltage and with normal RAM settings...my video card wont go over 290/600....any ideas?

well im bored so i said screw the hdd corruptions.im pushing on!
and glad i did 187fsb! and still going up.im going slow to not kill myself here
bandwith1-new.jpg
ive relaxed my timings to 2.5,3,3,2

still going higher after i post and ill give a full report allso.
corsair 2100 is amazing is all i can say.

"edit" GREAT MOOOGLY GOOOGLY! 190FSB! man oh man what a rush.on 2100 at that.
2663 int
2401 floating for sandra scores.

im putten baby to the floor now! stand back in given her the juice and not stopping till i smoke it or hit 200fsb!

193 fsb now.im starting wish i had another diviser :( everything rock stable.
pressing on!

200fsb :D but some bad news.looks like it point of diminishing returns on the bandwith.
2639 int
2460 float

not much better than 190 scores. the rest the benchies should be better tho on the cpu itself.also i have the ram timeings to tighen back up if i can soon as i hit the cieling on this fsb issue.
least i know i now need 3200c2 mxs now :S

stopping raising my fsb,topped out at 205fsb with no errors,folding now .205x9.5=1953 i can do 2ghz but folding puts me over 50c.so i backed down to 1953.
bandwith22-new.jpg

Last edited:
Back