• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help put together a rig for cLockErGiRl for around $400 USD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rUfUnKy

Just as the title says I'm looking for suggestions on parts for a rig for cLockErGiRl for around $400 USD. Only thing is, it must be a AMD rig ;)...I've always used ABIT boards but there a bit pricey also I'm leaning toward the KT266a chipset because it is a proven chipset and I want a VERY stable board. (Though I am also considering the KT333 chipset seeing mine has served me well) On board sound is good but I will be puting a TI4200 in it for gameing. I am planning on getting all this through newegg as I have never had a problem with there service. So put your thrifty skills to the test and help build this girl her first real computer ;)

proc:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?description=19-103-351

ram:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=20-144-001&DEPA=1
(get a 256 mb stick if your on a real tight budget)

hdd:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=20-144-001&DEPA=1

mb:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?description=13-130-367
(maybe not, type in video lan amd on newegg, there is a fairly wide selection of all-in-one mbs for about $60, or check the refurb section if ya need it real cheap)

running total:
USD 336

Last edited:
ANTEC SOLUTION SERIES MODEL SLK1600 (BEIGE) w/ANTEC SMART POWER 300W P4/AMD POWER SUPPLY ATX12V - RETAIL
$60.00 (free fedex shipping)

Cyberdrive 40x16x48 CDRW CD-RW Drive CW078 RETAIL BOX.
$43.00

Maxtor 30GB 5400RPM Hard Drive Model# 2F030J0- OEM
$69.00

CRUCIAL MICRON 256MB 32x64 PC 2100 DDR RAM - OEM 184-Pin, $77.00

Asus A7N266-VM AA (AMD Assured Version) NVIDIA $72.99
$72.99

AMD Athlon XP 2000+/266 FSB Processor CPU - OEM 2000+
$88.00

$410 total before shipping You still need a hsf but I busted :eek:

Sure you can spend less but I added some nice parts for not too much extra money. She'll probably want a video upgrade too... forget your budget then if you need everything new.

Are you saying you already HAVE a Ti4200? Monitor? Keyboard, mouse, speakers? Will you be painting it for her? Do you need a modem? I'm assuming you'll be installing Win98SE.

Essentially, what do you already have (or do not) have?

Here's my list.

XP 1600+
Thermalright SK-7 w/ Enermax adjustable fan
Biostar M7VIG (KM266 with onboard sound, LAN, and crappy video good for backup needs)
Samsung 256mb PC2100 RAM (assuming your installing Win98SE)
Western Digital 20GB ATA100
BLACK Foxconn case with 300w PSU
BLACK 48x CD-ROM

Total = $366.99

I left some wiggle room if you want to change to all white parts (to make painting easier and to chop $10 off the total) or if you want to increase hard drive capacity, or change to DVD, or CD-RW, blah blah, etc. etc.

IF you don't already have the video card I could switch the motherboard to a new model that has an onboard ATI IGP with performance on-par with that of a Radeon 8500. All at no change in price.

HECK!! You could just use that mobo and sell the Ti4200 to upgrade to more RAM or something. Then upgrade the video when the RV30 arrives.

Last edited:
You guys are great thanx ;) and capt slug....yah, I already have a monitor and a keyboard and a mouse and speakers ....so basically I need the main part ...the big main control box ..haha....then i'll be happy :)

cLockErGiRl said:
You guys are great thanx ;) and capt slug....yah, I already have a monitor and a keyboard and a mouse and speakers ....so basically I need the main part ...the big main control box ..haha....then i'll be happy :)
Reconfiguring...

Are you going to paint it? Do you care if it's all matching in black or not?

I swapped the $10 keyboard & mouse combo for 2 80mm case fans.

Last edited:
Captain Slug said:

Reconfiguring...

Are you going to paint it? Do you care if it's all matching in black or not?

I swapped the $10 keyboard & mouse combo for 2 80mm case fans

Not at all...I dont care if its purple and green or red and black (well, okay, that would be kinda cool) or whatever....Im not picky when it comes to the color.

I switched to beige parts to cut the price down to $356.98
Black everything only adds $3. The cost of one can of spray paint.

Do you want more CPU speed, a larger hard drive, or a newer motherboard?
Do you need a modem?

Captain Slug said:
I switched to beige parts to cut the price down to $356.98
Black everything only adds $3

Do you want more CPU speed, a larger hard drive, or a newer motherboard?
Do you need a modem?

yah okay, adding 3 dolllars is like worth getting black, but it really doesnt matter.....umm....lemme think.....see what Im using now is a 200 processor......which is probably older than me.....just kiddin but......funky knows what i need....I need everything.....my harddrive is only 2 .......two!!! and my motherboard ....I couldnt even tell you what it is....Im not into computers like you guys are as far as doin all the changes and additions, cuz i think if I did that, id ruin it and id never be able to do anything....Im learning tho. But, everything....bigger and faster .......and a modem....I have a oh geez, okay well I have cable, so is it an ethernet card Im using? pretty sure it is...and yah, i have one, but even so, I think theyre only like ten bucks, no?

Almost done...
11-154-010-01.JPG

New List

Athlon XP 1600+ AGOIA
Thermalright SK-7 w/ Enermax adjustable fan
Shuttle AK35GT2 (KT333) with onboard 6-channel sound
Samsung 256mb PC2700 RAM (assuming your installing Win98SE)
Western Digital 20GB ATA100
BLACK Foxconn case with 300w PSU
BLACK 48x CD-ROM
BLACK Floppy
2 80mm 4-pin Case fans
Archtek PCI 100mbps Ethernet card

Total = $392.98

HAVE FUN!! This is going to be a really speedy budget machine with a great set of overclocking options.
You might want to add the $10 matching black keyboard and mouse combo if your current ones are aging.

I used a cheap Biostar mobo for my brother's machine, it was like 55 bucks on newegg and it has video and LAN plus two ddr slots and two sd slots plus AGP and 3 PCI's

Back