• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What OS should I install?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noble

I've been building a new pc mostly from parts of my old machine. Now I have a PC that has an ASUS mobo, Pentium III 550 Mhz processor, 256 Mbit Dimm memory and a 20 Gbit harddrive. Now I have windows 98 se up and running, should I update to a newer OS I'm thinking about getting either win xp or 2000 pro. Which would be better? I usually use my computer for sufring the internet and playing games, but my brother also uses it to make music and use programs to make images (for example Paint Shop Pro). So which would be better considering my needs and my system? Win XP or 2000 Pro?

If you even need to upgrade- then definatly Win2k.
XP is essentially the same as W2K but with extra rubbish to look pretty which slows the system down tremendasly (sp?)- if you turn off all the extras then all your left with is W2K (with less resourses).

But if your not having any problems with your Win98SE then I'd leave it. Ive heard that W2K has some compatability problems with certain games- check your manuals and handbooks before upgrading.

Good luck

edited by cw823. We don't share copies of OS's here.

I wasn't after a "share" I was going to offer ca$h for his copy of Win98, I've looked in my local Uk stores and all they offer is M.E, XP and Win 2K- Not what I'm after as the resources needed for these are too high for my system im planning (a weak, quiet thing that the most demanding thing it will do will be the occational game of Sims), however I accept my admonishment and will stand in the corner and stay there till the dinner bell is rung.

Last edited:
*Beats n00bs*

why dual boot 98 isnt great

Yes, it is. It's theonly way I can run GTA3 with the Admin Console. I also like being able to use DOS every once in a while.

If you want to dual boot, use BootMagic, which comes with PartitionMagic. (With which you might solve your other prob, too)

No no no, Windows 2000 comes with a bootloader.

How do I install it so I can use dualboot?

Partition your drive into two parts - C and D. Install 98SE first, on the C drive. Once that's done, start Windows 2000 setup from98SE and choose to make a fresh installation. Don't upgrade. Also make sure that you've clicked the check-box that'll let you choose the partition during setup.

NT 5.0 will install its own bootloader.

I think that dualboot might be too complex and too much work, just because of a couple of old games. So I guess I'll just go with Win2K.

my brother has always running 2K, and I choose XP .. and although people keep saying that 2K is better, but I personally find that XP is better .. more compatible with newer games, drivers, hardwares, etc (developers more aware since more people using XP than 2K already).

nut581 said:
my brother has always running 2K, and I choose XP .. and although people keep saying that 2K is better, but I personally find that XP is better .. more compatible with newer games, drivers, hardwares, etc (developers more aware since more people using XP than 2K already).

Yeah, but I only have an 550 pentuim III processor and 256 SDRAM memory, wouldn't XP be a little too heavy for my system?

Back