• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NIC?!!!(Linux n00b)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Penguin4x4

Are you my Daddy?
OK, Like WTF?? I go to Linksys's Website to get drivers for my Gateway's NIC,(planning on networkin soon, hopefully) and apparently Mandrake 8.2 can't install it because it isn't a GZ file!?!? :confused: :confused: here is the site if you're interested: http://www.linksys.com/download/default.asp

Product is LNE100TX ver. 5.1

thanks for helping

That card is most certainly supported in the Linux kernel. Before you trty recompiling, try doing `modprobe tulip` and see where that gets you.

or you could just run netconfig from a console or that may be a gui utility ne way it can probe for nic cards and load the needed modules etc . . .

XWRed1 said:
That card is most certainly supported in the Linux kernel. Before you trty recompiling, try doing `modprobe tulip` and see where that gets you.

With the Run command, right?

:eek:

No. If you are in a windowmanager, open up a terminal window, 'su' to root, and then type 'modprobe tulip'

If you aren't in a window manager do the same at the prompt

The first one. Just open a terminal/console window. And type the stuff

Gui=windowmanager=KDE, GNOME, Windowmaker, Afterstep, Blackbox, etc.

Penguin4x4 said:
:eek: K I'm back, what is Terminal Window? Is that like the DOS Prompt?

Yes, it's just like the DOS prompt. There's usually a button on the toolbar. I think in KDE it's called 'Konsole' but I could be wrong.

-DarkArctic

Everything is case sensitive. Don't put a capital T in tulip or a capital L in linux.

moorcito said:
Then type 'lsmod' and if you see tulip in there then the module was installed and should be working correctly.

'bash: lsmod: directory not found'

That bad?:eek:

Did you do it as root?

If that doesn't work then type 'cat /proc/modules' (That's assuming that you even have a proc directory in the first place)

Or type 'dmesg' at the prompt. That will output to the screen all of the kernel messages, if the tulip module was installed correctly, then you should see somesort of message at the very end.

And, for future reference, if you get a message saying "file not found", or "directory not found" like you did in the first place try running the same command as root. 9 times out of 10 that will work. The other time it means that you're paths are messed up, or you didn't install what you are wanting to run.

If it appears to do nothing, then it probably loaded fine. You should be able to configure you nic using any gui tools, or with ifconfig.

Back