• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changing Directories (CD) across a network?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drdoug26

Hi all, I need some dos commands please:

I'm trying to access a 'distribution share' (i386) folder across a network, inorder to reinstall win2k Server.

The files I need to get at are on a workstation (WinXP) called 'LittleOne', which is on the network and I can access freely with my demoted server.
The path to the files on LittleOne is: C:\i386.

Now how do I get there from my current location which is on a demoted server: I used F8 and boot into safe mode with a dos prompt: So currently I'm at C:\ on the server (which is called AusuServer):

I hope that makes sense. I do not know how to use the CD command to cross the network and access a different computer/drive.

Thanks
Doug

Thanks but that did not work.

I still can't quite get it. Could you please explain a little more?

I've tried a bunch of different ways using the 'net use' command but no luck so far. Here's where I'm at:

I booted up win2k server using F8 and choosen 'safe mode with networking'.
(I've made sure the network between AsusServer and LittleOne is working and it is)

The path to my target file is simple: Littleone > C drive > folder i386:
The workstation is running WinXP Pro. (I'm on the User LadyBug - which shouldn't matter cause the target folder is on the C:\ drive) (There is no password to access user lady bug. The administrative password is 'Chiro' for LittleOne(if that helps).

Now, at the C:\ prompt I've tried variations of this.

c:\ Net Use \\littleOne\C:\i386 noop
c:\ * \\LittleOne\C$\user:Ladybug noop
C:\subst r: \\LittleOne\c\windows noop
c:\Dir \\littleone\c (listed the directories of the C: drive on LittleOne including the target directory but would not take me there so I could execute the winnt command)

A little more help please.

Doug

log on as administrator

run this:

C:\> net start (start the network, if needed)
C:\> net use r: \\littleone\c$
C:\> it may ask for a password, put in Chiro
C:\> r:
R:\> cd i386
R:\i386\> you are there :D

Oni said:
It should be something like:

Code:
cd //computername/sharedirectoryname
dos-mode doesn't support UNC paths. You have to map the network drive.

Thanks Su Root!

That almost got it. I had to use this:

NET USE * \\LittleOne\C$

Why the '$' sign? The drive is not hidden
but yet it seems to require C$?

Doug

The $ is for hiding the shared drive. In windows, if you take a look at the computer, the C$ share won't show up. If you create a Blah$ share, it won't show up either. (In XP, if you create the user Ted$, then he won't show up on the login screen, he'll be hidden.)

The shares:
C$
D$
E$ (etc. one for every hard drive)
and ADMIN$ (shares your C:\WINDOWS or C:\WINNT for MMC use)

... are created automatically, and are "administrative shares". Only the administrators of that computer can gain access to them over the network, and will allow them to change anything. This is generally used if you have to do a quick file copy, or to patch something over the entire network via a batch job.

Oni said:
Yeah, I realized that after re-reading my post again. I thought I was missing something.

You think they would impliment the ability to work with network shares into dos. (oh, wait.. did I just suggest adding compatability or functionality to dos??? :eek: I take it back.)

If you try to start a command prompt after toying around on a network drive, it'll give you a message, saying that the working directory is not suitable because it is a network drive, and that it'll change your working directory to C:\.

Back