• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phiber

i have the MC462 with a 36CFM Sunon case fan on it and i wanted to ask if i got the Delta 68CFm fan and kept it at the lowest possible volume i could take it to using a rheostat how succesfull would it be because noice is a issue in my house

I am not sure how low the reostat will go but you could always make a regulator out of a LM317 from the shack and have really good control of the fan. This would let you slow it down to a crawl and but still be able to crank it up for some serious gaming when your better half is not around, or family members if you are not old enough to have a better half :)

Try pure 5 volts... Or get a switch that allows you to switch between 12 & 5 volts. Not very adjustable, tho.

Due to the de-spiraling vanes in the Delta, it puts out better quality airflow at any speed than a plain axial fan. The problem with all the Focused Flow Delta fans is the fact that there is an actual tonal quality to the noise they make. It is unavoidable with static vanes. By tonal quality, I mean the noise is not broad spectrum audio. The majority of it is concentrated in a specific frequency range. Your brain tunes out broad spectrum noise very well since it is subjected to it all the time, to a greater or lesser degree. A single tone is more like "Chinese Water Torture". It wears upon you. You can get accustomed to it, but you never totally like it. The tone frequency as well as the volume of the noise from a Focused Flow fans gets lower in frequency the slower the motor spins, but the effectiveness of the airflow stays surprisingly high. With a rheostat and the case cover on, you can reduce the noise from the fan 50% and only see a 1 or 2 degree increase in temps. If you have a Web Site where I can send a .wav file, I'll record it alongside the Sunon 80mm case fan at different speeds so you can get a relative level to compare it to.

Hoot

Hoot (Jul 10, 2001 09:03 p.m.):
Due to the de-spiraling vanes in the Delta, it puts out better quality airflow at any speed than a plain axial fan. The problem with all the Focused Flow Delta fans is the fact that there is an actual tonal quality to the noise they make. It is unavoidable with static vanes. By tonal quality, I mean the noise is not broad spectrum audio. The majority of it is concentrated in a specific frequency range. Your brain tunes out broad spectrum noise very well since it is subjected to it all the time, to a greater or lesser degree. A single tone is more like "Chinese Water Torture". It wears upon you. You can get accustomed to it, but you never totally like it. The tone frequency as well as the volume of the noise from a Focused Flow fans gets lower in frequency the slower the motor spins, but the effectiveness of the airflow stays surprisingly high. With a rheostat and the case cover on, you can reduce the noise from the fan 50% and only see a 1 or 2 degree increase in temps. If you have a Web Site where I can send a .wav file, I'll record it alongside the Sunon 80mm case fan at different speeds so you can get a relative level to compare it to.

Hoot
u could email it to me if you could thank you

Back