• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Retail Computer Brands...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

o0OBruceLeeO0o

Out of Dell, Compaq, etc are there any good ones? Or ones that are better than the rest? I ask because I have a friend who doesnt want to build it, and im not experienced enough to trust myself with other peoples money to build it for him. Thanks :)

Yeah. I have a dell and a compaq. :(

They're pretty good but don't plan on doing any overclocking/expansion/serious gaming.

Dell, or if you got lots of $ Alienware. Those are kinda expensive though. My advise though is stay away from Compaq. Quite a lot of their stuff is getting to be proprietary and I had nothing but headaches with their tech support. One of the reasons I built myself a new rig.

Yeah, I've heard dell is good. Our family computer is an hp, and It hasn't encountered any major problems yet.(and its even running windows me:eek: Alienware would be nice, but its definitely going to cost your friend.

-CPFitz-

i would stay away from hp as much as possible. the next time you see a new hp in a store ask to look inside and you'll see why. The cooling in those things is awful. i'm really surprised nothing has caught fire at work yet (Compusa). all the manufacturers use undersized and proprietary power supplies anyway so which ever way you go you're not getting that great of a machine. if you have to i'd say go with a compaq or emachine if money is an issue.

compaq is satans ill begotten son- ive had nothing but headaches with them. I would stay away from the whoile hpaq alliance.
Dells get the job done (but they are far from perfect)
Alienware is great, but far far far too pricey
Directron.com sells some pretty nice pre watercooled rigs for a good price. Havent used one of these, but ive had excellent luck with them in general.

I dont think I will direct him to Compaq. My old computer, a compaq presario, was a Celeron. And when my parents got it from Compusa, they said it was a celeron. There was even a Intel Cerleron badge on it. Yet a couple months ago when I opened it for the first time (whew it was dusty) .........it had a K6-2 in it!!!!!!!! I think Dell is right for him. Thanks for replies guys! And if anyone else has any insight on this subject keep the replies comin :)

I personally really like Compaq. I have a compaq laptop that has been working great for 3-4 years and the comp I am on now started out as a Compaq and slowly evolved to what it is now : P. I personally though have never had one problem with any of my compaqs.

KiKaL said:
I personally really like Compaq. I have a compaq laptop that has been working great for 3-4 years and the comp I am on now started out as a Compaq and slowly evolved to what it is now : P. I personally though have never had one problem with any of my compaqs.

yep, i would definitely recommend compaq... mine was very stable and i never had a single problem with it (knock on wood) it still runs as my parent's machine at home. they're not the best for upgrading a ton, but what do you expect... it's got mostly custom parts. if you don't like compaq. i believe dell is the way to go. my school has all dells and they're great to work with, so my choices would have to be 1.) compaq, 2.) dell.

Falcon Northwest :)

Dell PCs (especially the lower end models) seem to have a short life span (2 or 3 years). I've owned two and they start having unexplainable problems once you get past the warranty.

Captain Slug said:
Falcon Northwest :)

Dell PCs (especially the lower end models) seem to have a short life span (2 or 3 years). I've owned two and they start having unexplainable problems once you get past the warranty.

must be set to self destruct after the warranty runs out :D now wouldn't that be shady...

mbentley said:
must be set to self destruct after the warranty runs out :D now wouldn't that be shady...

It's True! I just had to replace the motherboard in a 2 year old Dell because it had trouble booting up.

My other machine which I had for 4 years (bought it back when they had 3 year warrantees), the Processor died from heat damage because it was passive cooled for too long in the desert heat of Arizona.

Back