• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Utility

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You can use "Riva Tuner", "Powerstrip", even the Nvidia tweak tool (I can't remember what it's called). I'm sure there are more out there as well, but those three were the only ones that come to mind right now.

Difference it mainly personal preference. As for how far you can go, the only way to tell is to overclock your card stably. NO two cards are alike. Some will overclock till the cows come home, others won't get any real gain at all.

CrystalMethod said:
Difference it mainly personal preference. As for how far you can go, the only way to tell is to overclock your card stably. NO two cards are alike. Some will overclock till the cows come home, others won't get any real gain at all.

yep, just as crystalmethod said, it depends on your card... also if you have a pretty good airflow or a blowhole on the side... all sorts of little things can effect it... trial and error :)

I tried to OC my tnt2 but it didn't get much performance gain in 3dmark2001se. Maybe you'll have better luck, though.

i've had the same effect... when i oc my video card, i actually lose performance slightly... that is why i am back at stock speeds... oh well... makes no difference to me... it's still very decent on graphics. good luck on your future oc's.

does anybody have an explaination as to why if you oc your video card that it can actually make your score lower? my only guess is because it's unstable...

for some reason, i seem to get really nice 3dmark scores (everything at stock speeds) when it is really cold in my room here. i'm talking about starting here:

temps.jpg

cause i got a nice 700 point jump to 10444... i even beat my best score with my processor oc'd. i am not complaining, but it seems like it runs better when it's cold.

hmm.... im pretty screwed for cooling. i have a dell (rig in sig), and i replaced the only noisy fan with a 27cfm fan that i can't hear over my hard drive. thats the only fan i have in my case. oh well, i remember my first attempt at ocing this tnt2, i forgot that i had to test for stability, so i kept ocing until the bar wouldn't let me go any higher. once i tried playing q3 my comp crashed and then after that everytime i booted up into windows it froze... oopsies should have stability tested! i ended up having to do a hard drive swap with my mom's comp to get rid of the program and stuff... it was nuts i went frantic, i thought eventually i would fry my card. oh well, i have common sense on my side this turn round :)

Well if you do decide to overclock, use powerstrip. very user friendly. I just used it, and for a first time overclocker, it was great.

Kent

yeah im runnign my tnt2 right now at 145/145 using powerstrip. the stock speed is 125/145. ive been gaming all nighta nd its fine. i haven't finished optimizing it though, ive only been raising the core, and im not even done doing that.

ok, i started ocing my card and right now im running at 166/165. powerstrip won't let me go any higher using the slider bar for my core. i haven't really done much with my memory speed yet, but i will get around to it. how do i make my core faster since i cant raise it anymore?

Back