• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Source for inexpensive laptops

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Malpine Walis

Disabled
As a social worker, I am trying to set up a program to get computers into the hands of the disabled. I have checked with local corporations but they are holding on to computers until they are completely useless. Typically, I see 486's that have, at best, a few months left in them and even then, laptops are a rare find.

The people I am trying to help are not looking for something for free but would be willing to pay what they can afford for something that would last for at least a couple of years. Lets say that the target would be 500MHZ, 64MB, <3GB HD. Any modem at all would be a big plus.

Does anyone have a source that might help?

I have had nothing but pleasant experiences with www.teamexcess.com

They have factory refurbished laptops with new batteries. (they currently have two 500mhz models for $650 and a 300mhz for $350)
If you want something REALLY cheap I'll have to keep looking.

At my local computer store I got a 486 laptop without a battery for $5 a week ago. :)
It works fine for JUST e-mail and word processing.

Last edited:
You might try ebay. I've seen some cheap laptops there.

The only problem with laptops is that unlike old desktops the prices don't fall that fast.

Yah, I want to avoid auctions as well. Ebay purchases generally will not come with much if any warranty.

Dell has a buy now price and has computers availiable in small lots. While I am no fan of tiger direct, they at least offer a minimal warranty.

So no killer deals are to be had (not that I really expected any) but I have a couple of options which are better than Ebay.

If anyone has another source, please do not hesitate to post. This is for those less fortunate than ourselves...

Back