• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cannot silence modem chatter.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Wats up bros? Me...I'm kickin it here at my mom-in-laws hizouse in sunny Hawaii. Yeehhawwwwwww!! Yep it's fun and sun for the ole krag'ster. Well anyways...I upgraded my M.I.L's puter and I can't get the modem chatter to stop, or even to turn it down for that matter. I went into control panel>phone & modems>properties and selected the speaker volume tab but nothing happens. The chatter even comes over the pc speakers through the sound card.

M.I.L. puter:
P4 1.8
256mb DDR
Asus P4B533
Win Xp Home
Sound Blaster 16 pci (using saound blaster drivers)

Help a bro out?

What do yuo mean "set up"? When you say "string" do you mean regedit?

when you go into the modem advanced properties where you can choose xon/xoff or hardware and things like compression there will be a text field that allows you to put strings in...I believe the strings you put in are different for different makes of modem so you might want to grab a list for your modem and see what you can do

krag said:
What do yuo mean "set up"? When you say "string" do you mean regedit?
I took this from the online microsoft help:

To specify initialization commands
You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

Open Phone and Modem Options in Control Panel.
On the Modems tab, click the modem you want to configure.
Click Properties, and then click the Advanced tab.
In Extra initialization commands, type the commands that should be sent to the modem when it is initialized.
Notes

To open Phone and Modem Options, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Phone and Modem Options.
Type the commands exactly as they should be sent, with no extra spaces or characters. The AT prefix is unnecessary.
The commands you enter are sent after the standard initialization commands for the selected modem. This enables you to change the modem behavior or configuration as required by your communication software, or to communicate with a service provider. For more information about the commands recognized by your modem, refer to the manufacturer's documentation or Web site.
Related Topics

The AT commands will work, but you can also do this: go to Network Connections, right click your dial up and choose Properties. On the general tab, click the Configure Modem box. Once there, clear the Enable Modem Speaker box. Silence will follow.

Yeah!!!!

This is why I love this forum so much!!!!

Everyone is sooooo willing to help out a bro!!!

I am gonna try it now thatnks for your great help. I wiull let you guys know what happens.

First of all...thanks guys...but I still can't get it to work.

Repoman 11
I can't activate the "properties" tab...nothing happens when I click it.

Maximouse
I have found what you were talking about but I do not have the slightest clue as to what to type in the box for an "initialization command."

Ninthebin
i have also found the box you were talking about..but still do not know what to put in it.

I guess my next step is to search the website of the modem manufacturer.

This is what it is: "PCTel" ASP56 Micromodem.

More than one way to skin a cat. Try this method: Internet Options, Connections, Settings, Properties,General, Configure, and clear the Enable Modem Speaker box. If you still can't get to it, it may be because that is a Winmodem rather than a Hardware one like I have.

krag said:
First of all...thanks guys...but I still can't get it to work.

Maximouse
I have found what you were talking about but I do not have the slightest clue as to what to type in the box for an "initialization command."

The command to type in is:

M0

Thats emmmm zero :)

Al

Heres something else you can check.

Open up the case and see if the modem is wired to a sound input on the sound card (or motherboard if you are using built in sound). If it is then disconnect it.

Al

Or desolder the speaker from the modem (I've done this once because the modem kept resetting the control panel settings I would input).

But seeing as your not as home, I don't know if you packed a soldering iron (I know I wouldn't). :D

Dang it!! It is still screaming chatter.

Maximouse
I ytyped "emm zero~m0" into the diologue box and still no go

Captianslug
No conection...except through pci slot.

Repoman11
The "properties" tab still will not let me in?!

I am thinking of buying a new modem or disabling the case speaker...if I disable it it will still come through the pc stereo speakers. Thats what I dont understand...is how come its coming throught the pc speakers??

It's probably a winmodem if the sound is coming through the PC speakers and there is no cable going to the sound card. Had a Gateway once that had the same problem, but I didn't really care enough to spend much time to see if there was a solution.

Only thing I can think of is are you logged in as Administrator? I think in XP Home all regular users have only User level access which might be why you're not allowed to see the Properties tab.

it did it with mine before (I reinstalled) - and I found that there were two different settings for the modem "chatter"

one was the one within the modem properties through control panel, and there was another...

go into the actual connection and go to properties...under the general tab you should get a list of modems under "connect using" - click your modem and choose configure, a new window will open and a check box should be checked for "modem speaker" - mine wouldnt shut up until I did this

hassmh said:
It's probably a winmodem if the sound is coming through the PC speakers and there is no cable going to the sound card. Had a Gateway once that had the same problem, but I didn't really care enough to spend much time to see if there was a solution.

Only thing I can think of is are you logged in as Administrator? I think in XP Home all regular users have only User level access which might be why you're not allowed to see the Properties tab.

Yeah,I am using XP home, so how do I get access to the "properties" tab?

If you log on as Administrator you should be able to get to it. I think you can just hit Ctrl+Alt+Del twice at the Welcome screen to get the logon window so you can log on as Admin. That works in Pro, not sure about Home. Never used Home myself so I don't know for sure.

home and pro are like one and the same thing :) - we are the joe jobs who payed a million bucks extra for a blue load up instead of a green :)

Home is a handicapped version of Pro. There's a fair amount of stuff Home can't do, I used to know what they were, but that was back near the launch over a year ago. I know that Home has networking limitations, which is why I don't use it.

Back