• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo that supports the new high-end Athlons

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoT

You can't fire me, I have
Anyone know if a board exists that supports two 333MHz FSB XPs, yet? (I'm quite aware that XPs are meant for SMP systems)

darn, any idea when they will?

I have no Idea, but a few around here may.

I've been off of computers for a while, and haven't kept up with the latest technology.

alright, thanks for at least a general idea =)

I dont think there will be such a board. After what it seems, the mpx chipset cannot support anything higher than 150Mhz FSB. The next dual AMD chipset will propably be for Hammers.

beh >_<

so bridged XPs that don't use the 333MHz FSB should be fine for most dual boards?

at least I can do that much :D

The socket A/SMP platform was a gap filler for AMD. They wanted something in the server/workstation market in a timeframe before Hammer could get out. I wouldn't expect anything new in the way of SMP from AMD until Hammer.

beh, I could wait, but it would probably cost a bit more than I wish to spend

I'm not really up-to-date on the Hammers anymore, so do you have a clue on when they're supposed to be out?

Q1 2003 for the Server/Workstation oriented setups. Probably Q4 or later for the desktop Hammers, from what the news pages have been saying.

hope AMD doesn't delay again, it's quite annoying waiting for it already

Audioaficionado said:
If they go broke, that would intrduce a very long delay...

LOL, yeah. If AMD bites the dust I'll be immediately going out and buying 3 or 4 dual boards and as many XP's as I can handle...

Not to mention if they go under, the SMP crowd will all have to take out second mortgages to get SMP rigs...

You're right Shad. The Iwill MPX2 can go over 150 FSB, as can the Asus A7M266-D, but the chipset is the same and doesn't support dividers higher than 1/4. Neither the Iwill, nor the Asus have multiplier control, either, unfortunately.

This is a real shame, too. With the ability to unlock CPU's and get good memory that will do 166 or 200 FSB, it would be nice to have a chipset that supported 1/5 and/or 1/6 dividers, and working multiplier control.

cmcquistion said:
You're right Shad. The Iwill MPX2 can go over 150 FSB, as can the Asus A7M266-D, but the chipset is the same and doesn't support dividers higher than 1/4. Neither the Iwill, nor the Asus have multiplier control, either, unfortunately.

This is a real shame, too. With the ability to unlock CPU's and get good memory that will do 166 or 200 FSB, it would be nice to have a chipset that supported 1/5 and/or 1/6 dividers, and working multiplier control.

Agreed

I had a KR7A that ran for nine months at 200fsb using a 1/4th divider. There is no way I would ever try that with an MPX based system.

I have 2 2800's coming and think they will run on a barebones MPX2 @ 166 with out trouble. I plan on using a HPT 404 Rocket Raid controller for the drives.

Shad

If memory serves, the guy who is running his Iwill MPX2 @ 179 FSB is using an all-SCSI system. SCSI controllers have their own clock generator, so the drives are far less likely to get hosed, unlike IDE devices, which use PCI clock.

BTW, the Highpoint 404 is a great IDE RAID card. I had one and I loved it! Traded it for something, though. Thinking about getting another one. Be sure when you get it to flash the firmware and use the newest drivers from Highpoint. The newest firmware has a lot of performance and operation improvement.

Back