• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to remove lilo from MBR ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigBosun

Registered
i want to remove Redhat Linux from my box, including the LILO screen on the master boot record. I am running windows xp home edition with service pack 1 installed.
if you could give me the simple lowdown, i'd appreciate it.
BTW, Im going to put the redhat in its own dedicated box instead of dual booting, just so you dont get the wrong idea. i love it, just my hardware in my current setup does not.
Thanks

You can boot off your XP cd, tell it you want to repair your install, choose to do a custom repair, and then tell it to repair the boot sector.

it asks which windows installation do i want to repair, i typed in 1 (? i dont know if thats right or not). then asks for the administrators password....its been so long since i installed xp, i dont remember it or even if i made one.
is there another way to do this?

I think if you boot off a DOS floppy and do a 'fdisk /mbr' that should have the same effect as reparing via windows cd.

i tried that, i get the a: prompt, type in fdisk /mbr , and its an 'invalid command'. tried to do it from c: prompt as well, same thing.. i think i may have to live with it unless i can get around that administrators password when booting from the xp disk. but im sure that if i set up a password it would be only one of 2 words that i always use, but neither of those were recognized. so i dont know. but thanks for your help all the same.

Well you must have the fdisk program on the floppy for it to work. You have that, right?

Also maybe I'm not remebering the syntax right or something, try using the other slash ( \ ) or any other variations you can think of. (just try not to format your disk :) )

You don't need the admin password. You must have chosen to run the recovery console, which isn't the right thing. There's another repair mode, I don't remember the name but they ask you just a little later when you don't ask for a recovery console.

haven't blown away linux quite yet..but LILO is still there. tried booting from the xp disk and going to the non-repair console option, but still didnt get it off of the mbr. I'm going to re-format and reinstall XP, and put Linux in its own separate box (not a cardboard box, an actual pc).

Did you try uninstalling lilo? There are a couple of commands that will do it. 'lilo - u' or 'lilo -U' with both of those you can also include the device name, ie. '/dev/hda' or something like that. This is the way that I've always uninstalled lilo, try it it might work for you.

Back