• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

longtime 440BX issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Intel_kiddie

Registered
Ok guys, heres my deal. As many people here are, i assume, i don't like to pay if i can get around it. About three years ago i bought a dell, a pentium 3 coppermine 500mhz slot one chip on a intel 440bx chipset. I didn't know any better at the time, but i don't think i can do what i want. See my comp still runs well at lan parties, i just want more.

I have been through at least 50 sites, 100 billion programs, etc, and i need to know, IS it possible to overclock this thing?? Theres no jumper that i can tell, nothing in the manual, and other p3 slot one chips won't work in it, please guys, if you know something help me, i beg you.

-Steve

First, welcome to the forums!

Now the bad news: Nope. Dell does everything they can to make sure you will never get one clock cycle more than you paid for. I've seen a couple hundred Dell P2/Slot 1 P3 systems over the years, and not one has had jumpers to adjust the FSB. (On the 440BX, when you could overclock you had to do it with jumpers on the board instead of through software in the BIOS.)

If you could overclock, like if your P3/500 was plugged into an aftermarket board like the Abit BE6 that you could overclock, you wouldn't be too impressed with the results. The 500 was a miserable overclocking chip. Back in the day the hot overclocking proc was the Celeron 300A, and it wasn't too tough to get that to 450-470MHz on the right board. But the most I've ever seen out of a P3/500 was 570 and it wasn't stable.

BHD

Once or twice, tho i cannot member the program, i actually got the FSB to i think 110ish but the MHZ never increased it just ran hott as ****. I don't have the money to spend on hardware, heres my specs:

P3 500mhz
128mb RAM (i do have another 32mb chip i can had but its pc100 which brings down my 133's)

20gig

Voodoo 5(kick *** card i'll never leave it)

I got a lan coming up on saturday and i want this thing sitting on the faces of the 1+ ghz, what CAN i do?

As he said, dell kills all that stuff. I had a compaq I tried software overclocking. I used CPUCool, i beleive. The PLL was not supported, because compaq is very good at that stuff. I would bet $400,000 that it is the same with dell.

Back