• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Motherboard would be best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

confusionfactor

Registered
ABIT IT7 MAX Intel 845E, ABIT BD7II-RAID 845E, or ABIT SR7-8X, SIS648?
I'm going to try and replace my BD7 Raid board due to the fact that it is bent around the CPU socket and I don't know if it's fixable...hence my temp problems all along, and can get an excellent deal on either of these other boards. Thanks in advance!

personally i would go with the IT7 MAX2 ver 2 , i have heard many good thigns about it. but its brother the IT7 MAx is also a good board. The IT7 MAX is 'legacy free', if i recall right, so it has no ps/2 ports, so you will probably need usb mice/keyboard.
the IT7 MAX2 however does have ps\2 and the ver 2 does have hyperthreading suppot i believe.

The BD7II-RAID is also a good board, and i have heard many good things about it too, but i havent heard much about the others.. sorry =(

I'm gonna vote for the BD7II.

I'm not crazy about the IT7. Its a good board, but I don't get the appeal of moving everything to a USB port. USB drivers are still a major issue for a lot of peripherals (make damn sure your stuff will work the way you want as USB parts before you get an IT7) and I can think of better uses for my CPU clock cycles than running my mouse and keyboard.

Raven is correct that the IT7-2 does have legacy ports, but the price is way too high for an 845E board, in my opinion.

The BD7II RAID is one of my favorite P4 boards. Its a great overclocker, rock stable and its one of the best bargains in a P4 board. If you have had temp reading problems on your old BD7, you should know that is the most common complaint about the BD7II, also.

The SiS648 doesn't have a lot of fans around here. Larva is our SiS guru and he won't recommend any board with the 648 chipset. He can't get his Asus to run past 150MHz FSB and the best I've heard from any SiS user is 160 on the FSB. Also, check closely because on some of the 648 boards you can't set the CPU voltage above 1.6v.

BHD

Back