• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlocking XP1800+ AGOIA tonight, power question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pestul

Registered
Okay, currently I have an XP1800+ running at 2000+ speeds purely with fsb overclock and I only have a 300W PS. I'm only using one cd/rom device and 2 pci cards (sound, nic) coupled with a R8500 64mb in an EPoX 8k3a motherboard.

I'm going to unlock this cpu tonight as it is an AGOIA... does 166MHz fsb (with 1/5 divider) with a lower multiplier use more power than just brunt/unlocked fsb overclocking (say 11.5x143fsb currently at)?

Why I'm asking this, is because I know the limit to my memory is 354MHz DDR.. and I want to try to hit 177MHz for fsb as it is equivalent to 143fsb when I manually set my memory to 166MHz default...

I hope this made sense to anyone :D

EDIT: And thanks for keeping my old account alive guys by transfering it to the new board. Damn, that was back from my PIII450 oc'ing days ;)

all else being equal, I would say that whether running at 11.5X143(=1644mhz or say 9.5X173(=1644) the CPU will be using the same amount of power. Juggling Multiplier and FSB will not change the power draw of the cpu as long as you end up at the same Frequency in the end. However the Ram will be overclocked more and will add to the power draw on your 300w P.S.

HardwareJedi said:
all else being equal, I would say that whether running at 11.5X143(=1644mhz or say 9.5X173(=1644) the CPU will be using the same amount of power. Juggling Multiplier and FSB will not change the power draw of the cpu as long as you end up at the same Frequency in the end. However the Ram will be overclocked more and will add to the power draw on your 300w P.S.

The ram will be at the same frequency for me because I will manually set it 133MHz as the starting point so that 177MHz fsb only gives 354MHz obviously. I'm also running my memory at 354MHz now because I have it manually set to 166MHz.

On another note, I couldn't unlock the chip because my supplies were stuck in a friggin drugstore/postal outlet. They closed early for a friggin' Christmas banquet.

Back