• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with my new comp..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dtx01

Registered
Ok well I have recently upgraded my computer but for some reason when I try to play a game or do anything with 3d gfx my comp freezes or give me a c++ error. My specs are:

• AMD 2100+ 1.73ghz (new)
  • Abit KXY-333 (new)
  • Corsair 512mb DDR PC2700 (new)
  • Western Digital 5400rpm 40gb (old)
  • Geforce 2 64mb GTS (old)
  • Antec TruPower 430watt PowerSupply (new)
*Things listed new are the parts I have just boguht and the parts labeled old are from my other comp.

I think I need to format my hard drive and that may fix the problem (seems to work a lot.. heh) or it's my video card. I have the newest drivers for my video card. The problem only seems to occur with 3d gfx, like Counter-Strike, Folding@Home graphical display, Winamp’s visual plug-ins, Battlefield 1942, Mafia, ect. I play a game called Ultima Online and I use the 2d client and I haven’t gotten any errors with it. Please help!

Here is a picture of the C++ Error I have been receiving when I try to do anything with 3d gfx.

foldingerror.jpg

Did you do a fresh OS install when you changed motherboards? If not that could be your problem. If so what was the old motherboard the OS was installed on? you could also use the console ver. of F@H and get it running wehile you work this out just stick it in th same directory and run it:D

it was an old crap mobo. it was a M50LR, that's all i know about it. my old cpu was a 900mhz tbird also. i am gonna get a new hd anyways b/c i want a 7200rpm, and i'll use the one i'm on as a slave.

Nope, that didn't fix it :( I found my WinXP disk so I’m going to buy a 80gb 7200rpm hd tomorrow, install XP onto it, set my other 5400rpm 40gb as a slave then copy all my mp3s, pictures, and other media (no programs) onto the new hard drive, then format the slave and use it as a backup.

Also, I have one little question, if I set my 5400rpm hd as a slave and have the 7200 as my primary will it slow down my comp at all?

ah well, it was worth a shot, and doesn't take long...

as for your drives, You don't say what other components you have in your system, But If your drives are rated differently such as one (5400) being ATA33 and one being ATA100(7200), then the Primary IDE controller may default to the slowest speed for both drives. in which case you may lose a small amount of performance. It May depend on the MB IDE Controller and how smart it is.
If you have only 1 CD drive, I would hook the 5400rpm drive up as Secondary IDE Master, with the CD as slave to it, and put your main drive on IDE 1 all by itself.

yea, i only have 1 cd drive so i'll do what you said.

i'm gonna go out to besy buy later today. i'll let you guys know if i have any luck.

you should always do a fresh install of ypur os when installjg new parts. it's more safe that way, and much easier.

well i bought a Maxtor 120gb 7200rpm hd today and i install xp and everything i needed. i go to test if i can play a game or anything, and i still get the same error. please help me!

Update the direct X. The one that comes on the XP disk gave me problems too until I updated it. Are you using sp1?

Well I seem to have narrowed down the problem. It looks like my video card is causing the problems. I put in my brothers geforce4 ti4200 128mb and I recieved no problems or errors. I put back in my geforce2 64mb gts and I get all these errors... And I downloaded all the newest drivers.

But I am most likely getting an ATI Radeon 9700 128mb for xmas so I dont have to worry about this problem that much but does anyone know a fix...? I'd like to be able to use my comp for games until then.

Back