• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Error 59?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dermen

Need help with errors and windows upgrade

I just installed a new motherboard (Soyo 7VCA-E) and graphics card (geforce2 mx200). After windows loads I get an error. It says, "The following error occured while loading protocal number 1. Error 59: A network error has occured." Also my computer freezes during the loading screen in counter-strike and it freezes quite often no matter what I am doing. Can anybody help me with these errors?

Also my computer was an HP and since I installed the new motherboard the system recovery cd does not work. So I will have to buy windows. My question is can I just buy the upgrade? WIndows 98 is installed right now. And if I get the upgrade it should install fine but if I need to reformat and reinstall windows will I need just the upgrade CD or will I need to have a full version of windows to reformat? I would much rather buy the XP upgrade than the full version.

Last edited:
Most likely you have a bad network card driver installed. Go into device manager and see what it says is the problem with the NIC.

If you buy an upgrade version, you will install it as though it were a full version, but half way through the install it will ask to see your original Win98 CD, to make sure that you have one, that's all.

I went to the device manager and it said the NIC was working properly and had the most up to date drivers. I guess I will just try taking the NIC out since it isnt being used.

I was able to stop the computer from locking up. Although it still locks up when I try to play counter-strike.

I guess I am going to buy the XP upgrade. A friend of mine has windows95 so I can use that cd when installing.

Thanks for the help

I found out what the error was. I went to control panels and then clicked the network icon and it showed 2 of the same NIC cards. So I deleted one and restarted the comp. Now everything is working great except CS.

I reinstalled the video drivers and now CS is working. Everything works great now. I also learned a great deal about computers during this process.

Back