• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dba Difference

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrazyBorne

My current heatsink fan is 38 dba (60mm), if I replace it with a 21 dba (80mm) what would the noise difference be?

I have a 26 dba fan, it seemed kinda loud, will the 21 dba fan be alot quieter?

Generall speaking, below 30 shouldn't be audible at all.

Often, vibrations are the cause for the noise related to fans. So even the best fan at 20 db will be audible, if the hard-plastic is in direct contact with metal or other platic. Use rubber fittings instead of screws. Like these click here

A second thing to note is that decibels (1/10 Bel) is loudness at any given frequency. Since there is no real standard for measuring Db's on fans, you can never compare the Db ratings of fans between to different companies. Where Pabst may measure the highest rating in the entire human audible frequency, zalman might settle with the highest Db in a select frequency area.

I doubt this would be so, but.. you can never be too sure :rolleyes:

Cheers, Flixotide

edit: morning typos

Note that at a fixed frequency, a 3 dBA reduction cuts the noise in half. A 6 dBA noise cuts the noise in half of half, or quarters it. Etc. The A-weighted decibel (dBA) only allows comparison of noise at the same frenquency (pitch), but its weighting was made to approximate the human ear's sensitivity to different pitches. I.e., 21 dBA at a high pitch should sound just as loud as 21 dBA at a lower pitch.

Generally speaking, the frequency of the peak noise level is higher (a higher-pitch whine) for a 60mm fan than an 80mm fan, so they can tend to be less irritating.

Hmmm, 21 dBA 80mm. Unless I miss my guess, that's a Vantec 80mm stealth fan you're talking about?

Hope this helps a little. -- Paul

Ah, very nice, although I read 22 dBA there for 25 CFM. You can get 27 CFM for 21 dBA from a stealth fan for $8 at the same site, although $2 is pretty tough to beat! ;) -- Paul

If I'm not all wrong, you can get Pabst NGL fans, 12 dba's at 19,5 cfm... the most silent fans I know of. But they couldn't knock over a mosquito :p

I've chucked four of those in one of my rigs. No sound at all, and it actually brought case and cpu temps down 7-8 c's. Not all bad then eh?

Cheers, Flixotide

Impressive! And for the record, 4 fans running at 12 dBA combine to 18.02 dBA. A very nice figure indeed! -- Paul

How much are they and where could I purchase them? I'm trying to keep this under a very small budget. Perhaps I will mow my neighbors yard. =P

The fan should be roughly $8-$11, depending upon where you get it. (See this for the fan.)

You might also check out svcompucycle.com. -- Paul

get a Vantec Tornado they are quiet..

j/k of course, they are 55db, loud. Yeah, 21db is really quiet, if you can hear it with your case on then you've got to have super sensitive ears..

Yikes, I was planning one getting 4-5 fans. Im not sure I can afford 4 $11 fans. :(

$8 apiece at kdcomputers. I didn't quite get around to checking the other sites, though. ;) Of course, $2 x 4 is quite desireable, and as the performance of twe two is comparable, so as long as you don't want the fan RPM monitoring, the NMB fan looks pretty good. 4 of those will sum to about 28.0206 dBA only 1 dBA higher than 4 stealth fans. (but with slightly less airflow.)

-- Paul

That's a nice find! Even has RPM monitoring! For the record, four of those would be < 24 dBA, and five of them under 24.99 dBA. -- Paul

(You should post this in cyber deals! ;))

Those aluminum-plated fans are pretty interesting.

Not sure whether the aluminum has more to do with heat transfer (like a heatsink, as most sites seem to imply), or with improved interface between teh air and moving blades.

For the record, the standard 80mm ThermaTake fan does 37 CFM for 2900 RPM and 30 dBA.

-- Paul

Back