• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My plan to hit 4 ghz!!! Your help required!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC Noob

I want to hit 4Ghz...on air. Don't laugh too hard, I don't plan to do it just yet. It seems the C1 stepping chips are pretty sweet. When do you think they will be capable of 4 Ghz if P4s ever will be. I've seen a couple of people with 3.5 ghz O/Cs and the 3 Ghz stock chips are out. What do you think?

ps what kind of O/C do you think a C1 2.2 will give? I hate to get rid of my 1.6a, its been so good (2.7 ghz stable @1.85 voltage, but I run 2.56 @ 1.65 for everyday), but I must hit 4 ghz or as close to it as possible (unless that 2.2 C1 O/Cs like my 1.6a I might settle for that).

Thanks for any advise/speculation/rummors/gosip...whatever:)

Start with the the FSB CRANK that sucker up. Make sure you have really fast memory and REALLY good cooling on the northbridge chip.

Rob

I wouldn't expect to get a 2.2 to 4 ghz, thats my cheap alternative if there aren't P4s O/Cable to 4 ghz within the next 4-6 months.

You really think there won't be any P4s out that will O/C that high on air?

Heck, I can do 1.75 Volts and stay in reasonable temp ranges on air. Theres already a 3 ghz stock chip out, I think a 3.4 or 3.5 Ghz should beable to hit 4 ghz fairly easy (if the chip is capable of that speed at all).

my BO shrink 2.26 hit 4ghz on stock HSF.

then my alarm went off and i woke up ;)

AZN

Theoretically, if you put a half dozen high-power TEC's on it, and push more air over the heat sink than any sane man has willingly been subjected to, you'd have a good start I think. Theoretically. :D :burn:

So its going to be imposible to get to 4 ghz in the next 6 months, on air.

Its not an AMD, a .1-.2 volt increase and 500-600mhz O/C ins't going to require a 4 ton AC unit. I've got almost a 1 ghz O/C on air for everyday use that doesn't go over 45 C full load.

if you took a 3.06 chip (23 multiplier) and icnreased the front side bus to 173 mhz, it'd be running at more than 4000 mhz.

I have never seen a P4 that liked more than about 160 mhz fsb. It might do 170+ fsb once or twice, but I can almost be sure it would not be stable.

Air cooling? you're talking about a swiftech or alpha 80mm cooler with a vantec 80mm tornado "helicopter" fan.

OC Noob said:
So its going to be imposible to get to 4 ghz in the next 6 months, on air.

Its not an AMD, a .1-.2 volt increase and 500-600mhz O/C ins't going to require a 4 ton AC unit. I've got almost a 1 ghz O/C on air for everyday use that doesn't go over 45 C full load.

Impossible is a strong word. Let's say its as likely as being hit by lightning...while holding a winning lottery ticket...and being attacked by a shark.

Seriously, I hate to rule anything out but getting a P4 to four gig for an extended period with any cooling medium seems highly unlikely. Even with phase-change cooling where processor temp isn't an issue, the design of the P4 simply isn't stable at four gig. And despite what Intel's roadmap says, I'm not convinced that they will be able to get 3.6 out of this chip on air and cover it under a warranty.

BHD

The next CPU due to come out later this winter will be the 3.33 (I think). But, I suspect 4 gig might be out of reach for even that, unless you're using super cooling of some sort. You'll probably need to wait until the next stepping beyond the C1 arrives. When that will happen, I don't know. It's hard to predict, but my guess is we'll probably start routinely hitting 4 gig by sometime next summer.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait for 4 ghz. I'll settle for a 2.2 C1 stepping or which ever will give the best O/C (not including stock speed) between 2.0 and 2.8 ghz. Any recomendations?

I guess I got lucky with this 1.6a. I had it doing 165 FSB for a while, but the Smart Fan was too loud (its not a smart fan II so I just use the thermal censor and it runs at the slower speed @160 FSB, thus its not nearly as loud) and I didn't want to kill it with voltage.

BaldHeadedDork said:

Impossible is a strong word. Let's say its as likely as being hit by lightning...while holding a winning lottery ticket...and being attacked by a shark.
BHD

attacked by a shark on LAND! ;)

well guyz dont forget the 1.8a C1 did 3.6ghz and 3.5ghz stable ;) it could happen soon.

AZN

the 2.5a is C1 i believe. you'd need 160fsb to achieve exactly 4000mhz.

not sure if a chip with a 25x multiplier would make it that high even with water/promethia. very unlikely it would do it on air.

AZN said:

attacked by a shark on LAND! ;)
rofl hahaha lol omg!
laugh.gif

thats so funny!! hahaha. BAHAHHAAHAHHA.

there azn.. that better? ;)

is it just me or are complements from maxvla just not that great

AZN

Wait a minute now.. The chip Intel O/Ced to 4,4GHz was supercooled (I guess phase change), and probably (very, very likely) a very, very good chip.

The chance of getting a lucky chip like that isn't very big, but we can all see that the design of the P4 DOES allow for 4 gig! And even 4+!

Intel is planning on getting the Prescott to 5+ gig!!! ...and that's stock voltage and stock (air) cooling!!

If I haven't missed something there should be a chance right?

Finken said:
Wait a minute now.. The chip Intel O/Ced to 4,4GHz was supercooled (I guess phase change), and probably (very, very likely) a very, very good chip.

The chance of getting a lucky chip like that isn't very big, but we can all see that the design of the P4 DOES allow for 4 gig! And even 4+!

Intel is planning on getting the Prescott to 5+ gig!!! ...and that's stock voltage and stock (air) cooling!!

If I haven't missed something there should be a chance right?

1) There is a big difference between an Intel handpicked CPU running in a professionaly supercooled system for a few days and a retail consumer chip running with a heatsink/fan unit for some years.

2) Prescott is a next generation CPU on a new .09 micron process. Results do not translate back somehow to current CPU's even if they share the same basic architecture.

FIZZ3 said:

1) There is a big difference between an Intel handpicked CPU running in a professionaly supercooled system for a few days and a retail consumer chip running with a heatsink/fan unit for some years.

2) Prescott is a next generation CPU on a new .09 micron process. Results do not translate back somehow to current CPU's even if they share the same basic architecture.

1) ....yes, I know (?) I thought I covered that....

2) Well, I did think that the fact that they share the same architacture had something to do with it..if the shrink in process effects something besides clockspeeds then I guess I was wrong

As for the specs, I know what the prescott is about

Anyway, I thougt that a P4 running 4.4 gig DOES say something about the potential of it's architecture...

My point wasn't that that CPU ran 4.4 and therefore every P4 would! My point was just that the design CAN run at the speed...
You can't argue with me on that one! ;) 'cause if it wouldn't Intel could not have shown off that overclock :D

Couldn't it be possible to hit (at least close to) 4 gig instead of 4.4 if you leave out one of the 2 big factors that made the chip do 4.4? (if you use supercooling on a "regular" chip, or high-end air-cooling on a "lucky" chip)

If not now, then maybe at least sometime before prescott..maybe with a new stepping?

I mean, 3.5 gig on air.. that's reality, and it's not very far from 4 gig

OC Noob, can't you at least go with watercooling!? :)

Last edited:
Back