• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what's better, high memory or high core when overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kent_b29

What's better when overclocking the video card? High memory or high core? Becuase I can get my parents video card to 100 core, 120 memory, or 105 core, 115 memory. So which is better for preformance?

thanks,
Kent

run several tests like 3dmark and see which settings you get higher fps for some its core others its mem others its a balance...for me its memory..

To be honest, with those two options there isn't going to be much of a difference...but I would go for the higher core clock, since that card must be old running at such low speeds.

Really?!? With my Radeon 9000 Pro the more core the more score(god that was lame). I could be wrong but i put my core harder then my memory. I honestly dont know why u guys oc a vid card that will only go some 20mhz ahead, there is no noticable difference. Well at least not on any card ive ever done. Im waiting till i get a Peltier/Watercooling sink from swiftech b4 i push anything hard enough to notice

Honestly I cant say that I noticed any difference either, even though I succeeded in running the memory at 300 instead of 250 Mhz. Better 3Dmark2001 score tho :D

Back