• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to get started in Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CPFitz14

I was thinking of maybe installing Linux as a second OS, just for fun, and maybe to learn a thing or two. I have win2k on my machine now, could I safely install linux and dual boot? Would I be able to access my stuff in Linux? Can I download Linux free somewhere?

-CPFitz-

Linux is distributed free, it's part of the provision.

You can download the CD's for free and set them up to dual-boot with your Win2k.

What distro were you interested in? The most popular are Mandrake, RedHat, and Suse.

I recommend Mandrake 9.0 for a new user, it has the look and feel of Windows and it's a good place to start. On thier site you will find links to download it for free(unfortunatley thier site appears down for the moment)

I would also recommend Mandrake 9. I ran it in VMware on my work box for a couple months and I liked it once I got the feel down.

I've now built a Linux box and successfully gotten Mandrake 9 running on it. I struggled with the nVidia display drivers for a while but I think I've got it figured out now.

I'm familiar with the Unix CLI style environment, as I do a lot of server administration with HPUX and Solaris, so I guess I have a little bit of an edge over a complete M$ newbie....

i suggest lycoris.most windows like linux out there.
u still have to use command prompts but not as much.

I'd opt for Mandrake it will easily set up and install dual boot with grub and lilo etc. . . . theres some troubles with lycoris. I would sugest you tell us what you want to do with your computer and we could better help you out

Well, I basically use my computer for gaming, 3d apps(bryce, maya, 3dsmax), homework, and of course browsing the forums.

I'm just looking to kinda wet my feet in Linux, and see what its all about. I want something that doesn't necessarilly have to be close to windows(hey, you guys can help me:D) I just need something that will easily dual boot with 2k. I don't want something that could cause even the mere chance of reformatting(I've reformatted at least 6 times in the last month:mad: can't take it anymore)

Thanks for the help.

-CPFitz-

SickBoy said:
I struggled with the nVidia display drivers for a while but I think I've got it figured out now.

I installed Mandrake 9 on the rig in my sig(on a seperate 40GIG HDD)and it discovered everything during install, that includes all the built-in stuff on my motherboard(LAN, AUDIO), a optical USB moouse, and it had no problem with my GeForce 3. I have never had a MS OS install as easily or as quickly. The only problem I know it has is with the Highpoint controller and my RAID.

I should also note that I did a full install(all the options and extras) and it never asked me for disk #2 or was it #3, anybody remember? I only mention this because the disks are large and this could save you some download time.

might give it a go, just researching a little more.

BTW, you guys over here in Alt. OS's are great, I swear every time that I come back to this post there are like 3 more replies. My thread hasn't left the top yet. Thanks.

-CPFitz-

Well I can't speak for the rest of the guys, but as for myself, you are absolutley right, I am great...and let me add, it's about time someone f***ing noticed!!!

Now if I could only remember which disk you didn't need to download to install Mandrake 9.0

I will disagree and say Redhat 8.0 is better :D

I dont really like Mandrake that much, I prefer the Redhat GNOME interface.

Each to their own.

And if you want to learn linux, play about. Muck about. Fiddle with Apache, tweak MySQL, play about on the command line for a few hours.

David

Mandrake and Redhat are the two most popular distros, each has it supporters, I think you will find each of them interesting and safe...

P.S. Go with Mandrake 9.0

You'd be surprised how hard it can be to crash a linux system. Crashing a program is easy enough, but the kernel itself is quite stable.

If you don't want to damage the system, the best thing is don't use the root account unless you know exactly what your doing. With your regular user, you won't be able to do much damage outside of your home directory. The root account is powerful, and quite dangerous. For example, as root the command:
rm -rf /home/randomuser
would just delete the directory /home/randomuser and all files inside. However, just add another space in like so:
rm -rf / home/randomuser
and it would happy delete every file on your system. :)

But its good to play around and see what you can do. Most things can be done from your regular user. And always think before you hit return if you're on root :)

KDE is one of the several GUI's for linux. Technically, they are all different window managers for the X-Window system (the GUI itself). Some of them, such as KDE and GNOME, come with an assortment of programs for various tasks. For example, KDE comes with KOffice, an office suite. Others are more minimal, and only manage windows, and nothing else. One such window manager, my personal favorite, is Fluxbox.

The various window managers are reasonably stable. Sometimes you may encounter a crash or a program that freezes. In these cases, press Alt Ctrl Backspace will either exit or restart X-Windows, and you can start it up again. Its a lot faster than rebooting in Windows, however.

Okay, so I can have mandrake, redhat, or anything etc., and still run KDE/Gnome etc.? May install linux tomorrow, still undecided about which though.

-CPFitz-

Back