• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2ghz willy vs. 2ghz northwood?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flixotide

Just a curios question..

How big is the difference in performance between a 2 ghz Celeron and a 2ghz P4?

The mobo takes both, but the P4 would have to be seriously faster for me ot spend the extra dough.

Cheers, Flixotide

Just because a Celeron is a Celeron doesn't mean it's a Willy. There ARE Northwood Celerons. Your Subject is to general.

Are you referring to a Williamette Celeron or a Williamette Pentium?

Generally, Pentiums are faster because they have more L2 cache, IE the Celeron Northwoods have 256kb Cache I beleive, while Northwood Pentiums have 512kb.

I would not buy a Willamette Celeron, they won't overclock worth crap. But, I thought the 2 gig Celerons were Northwoods with reduced cache? If so, and if you're not using applications requiring the larger cache, then a 2 gig Northwood Celeron would be a good budget consideration (some have reached 3 gig overclocks).

Last edited:
I was desiring an indication as to whether a Pentium 4 is worth the extra dough compared to the Willamette. I'm not really a super-OC'er, nor am I the type who wants the fastest of fastest in computers...

My 3Dmark in my sig indicaes the level of performance I am looking for... and the puter would be used for gaming only, either as a parallel to my palomino or a replacement if its performs better.

As for wise remarks to processor types, cut it mate, if you're looking for perfectly well spelled posts, look elsewhere. I just couldn't be bothered bending the post in neon for wise-arses.

Cheers, Flixotide

the 2ghz celeron is a northwood and it has 128k L2 cache. :(

the 1.7 and 1.8's are willamettes. and they also have 128k L2.

these are very crippled cpu's.
the only good thing about the 2ghz is it can overclock to 3ghz. but even that can't help it in the performance department.
it's still a dog of a chip.

i would avoid all of them. the only way i'll be buying a P4 celeron is when it is finally given the L2 cache it deserves.

flixotide said:
I was desiring an indication as to whether a Pentium 4 is worth the extra dough compared to the Willamette. I'm not really a super-OC'er, nor am I the type who wants the fastest of fastest in computers...

My 3Dmark in my sig indicaes the level of performance I am looking for... and the puter would be used for gaming only, either as a parallel to my palomino or a replacement if its performs better.

As for wise remarks to processor types, cut it mate, if you're looking for perfectly well spelled posts, look elsewhere. I just couldn't be bothered bending the post in neon for wise-arses.

Cheers, Flixotide

i am still confused on your post. williamettes come in pentium 4. for the pentium 4 chips, they come in northwood (478 pins) and williamette (423 pins). the celerons come in northwood (478 pins) and williamette (423 pins) as well. (by all means, correct me if i am wrong about the celerons) basically the celerons are the pentium 4's but without the larger cache. they will still perform quite well, since they are working on basically the same concepts. the reason i got a p4 northwood was because of it's upgradability. you can't go past 2 GHz with the williamette chipsets. that is because intel hasn't made any more of them at a faster speed since the introduction of the 478 pin northwood. i believe that currently the intel celeron processors have a max speed of 2.2 GHz and are running on the 400 MHz bus. if you go for a pentium 4 northwood on the 533 bus, it will be fairly faster than a celeron of the same rated speed on the 400 bus. i am sorry if i have misread your post, but i figured that i would put some general info up here and hope that it what you were looking for.

celeron spec finder
pentium 4 spec finder

Last edited:
I have a C1 stepping Celeron 2.0 gig and it runs ROCK Stable at 2900 mhz with 1.65 Volts on the core. It will go higher but it seems to be unstable at higher speeds. Compared to my 1.6A Northy at 2400mhz the Celery even at 2900mhz cant compared in 3D Mark 2001. Basically I lost 1000 3D Marks with the Celery at 2900mhz. Its definatly fast for general things though, so if you want a machine that will impress your friends with a high CPU mhz then get a celery. But for a little more money get a P4 with 512 of L2 cache and let the games begin.

mbentley said:

i am sorry if i have misread your post, but i figured that i would put some general info up here and hope that it what you were looking for.

celeron spec finder
pentium 4 spec finder

Vert najs post.. much more helpful :) and my apologies for being a bit grumpy at wiseguys. I'm just trying to figure out if building a Willy Celeron system is worth it over the AMD Palomino I have at the moment. And that for one reason only, good AMD micro ATX boards are hard to come by.

As my sig says, my aim is to keep things small... :D

Thanks for your post

Cheers, Flixotide

mbentely, your a bit wrong there. Here is a outline:

Socket 423
Williamette P4 - crap because of large transistors and smaller cache (256k)
Williamette Celeron - crap for the same reasons, except even smaller cache (128k)

Socket 478
Williamette P4 - still crap, in a different package
Northwood P4 - Not crap, smaller transistors, and larger cache (512k)
Williamette Celeron - See Williamette Celeron
Northwood Celeron - Better, smaller transistors, but still small cache (128k)

Performance wise, the P4s always win.

There is no socket 423 Celeron to the best of my knowledge. But my P4 1.8 in my Dell is a Willamette, and though it's my main machine, I would think a 1.8 Northwood would be a lot better. My first words after getting this thing were "Jeez, you'd think 1.8GHz would be faster".

thanks for clarifying the celeron issue... i have never worked with celerons so i wasn't really sure... just stuff that i hear and i assumed... i hate when i assume wrong :rolleyes: oh well. thanks for fixing that :)

I don't understand why Fixotide was thinking we were being "wiseguys"? Looked to me like everyone was really trying to help him and to give him the facts. A couple of the guys got things slightly mixed up, but we got it straightened out.

looktall said:
the only way i'll be buying a P4 celeron is when it is finally given the L2 cache it deserves.

A p4 based celeron with "the L2 cache it deserves" is a p4 northwood :rolleyes: So I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say here :)

But yes, celerons do not perform as well as northwoods and are priced accordingly.

Update, on my Asus P4B533 with the 1011 Bios and 1.65 volts it runs rock stable at 3000mhz. I think my ram is now holding me back from going higher. I am going to install my Corsair 3200 and retest the system.

Actually,

I Am Overclocker :) Isn't German the second most popular language when it comes to hardware, next to English?

Well I think "crap" is not a good discription for any of these processors. It is really about what you will be doing with the chip and how much you have to spend. The P4 northwood is for sure the highest performance CPU. What apps do you plan to run? How much overclocking are you going to do, what are you going to run for mem and video card. These are the questions to answer before you decide what chip to choose.
Just calling a chip "crap" because it is not a top proformer is is not valid. I have a 1.5 Willy @ 2GHZ that proforms every thing I need it to. I would say this Chip is far from "crap"
A Pickup truck is not a Porshe but that does not make a pickup "crap"
Of course that is just my opinion.
AntmanMike said:
Socket 423
Williamette P4 - crap because of large transistors and smaller cache (256k)
Williamette Celeron - crap for the same reasons, except even smaller cache (128k)

Socket 478
Williamette P4 - still crap, in a different package
Northwood P4 - Not crap, smaller transistors, and larger cache (512k)
Williamette Celeron - See Williamette Celeron
Northwood Celeron - Better, smaller transistors, but still small cache (128k)

Performance wise, the P4s always win.
AntmanMike told me he is a reviewer and has a review site so he must have obtained all these chips and tested them. I'm sure a reviewer would not say CPUs are "crap" without extensive testing.
AntmanMike could you send us a link your reviews and bench marks that lead to your professional opinion that these chips are "crap". Did you take price/performance it to count.
Thanks in advance for the review links!

Last edited:
Back