• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unable to use Default settings with 550 Slot A

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RPM_Computing

I got this Athlon 550 and Asus K7V-T setup from a buddy at no charge. He was so sick and tired of not being able to use it properly he went out and bought a 1600+ and new mobo. I empathise with his frustrations as I have spent several hours attempting to configure the chip to defaults of 550 (5.5 x 100) withought success. FSB settings below 100 appear to work fine, even with boosting the voltage up to see if it will stabilize the chip to run at 100 fsb do not seem to work. The only time I am able to boot with 100 fsb is with L1 cache disabled. I have been doing research and found a program that allows L2 speed adjustment, program is "Mathlon" but does not resolve the issue. Anyone know if there is a program that would allow L1 frequence adjustment? BTW the CPU has been tested on other Slot A mobos and got the same results. Now even if I am not ablt to obtain 100 default fsb I can't really complain, it is a freebee, but conscidering this is "overclockers" I sure would like to at least obtain original settings :D I am currently testing the cpu at 532 mhz using F@H, hopefully it is able to run stable, seems like I am making a bit of progress here conscidering the highest I was able to get before was 495.

Any sudgestions or similar experiences are welcome.

I guess it could be a heat issue, you should see if the heatsink fan(s) are working and that the heatsink has full contact w/ the die, or whatever it should have contact with. This could simply mean, at lower frequencies it can work stable with high temps, but not at higher speeds

I guess that could be a possibility, I did put on a new HS/F combo and actually added a coupple fans and removed the rear case, so I guess I can continue to monitor it from there. The one thing that makes me think otherwise is the chip hangs at the post screen from a cold start after not being run for a while, it happens right off of the first boot. Seems kinda strange, but it does appear that the warmer it was getting the more progress I made. But everything is still running fine at 5.5 x 97, at least for the time being. I am going to attempt 100, hopefully it will work right, if not I will modify the colling system a bit more to see if that resolves it.

Thanks for the input.

just for kicks rpm try a differant video card in the agp slot.
i just put a gf4 in my backup and it was doing similer things also.
but mine is oced to 114fsb but some reason the video card change screwed with my fsb settings not able to run as high.112fsb was the highest without hanging.

put my ati back in and its running 114fsb again.

might be worth a try.

Well. I know a PC which will hang if you try to play a game when it has just started, but when it does heat up a bit it works fine, it may be a loose component on the chip or something, I don't know what else it could be if not heat :(

Well I tried about everything I could do. Tried different Video, ram etc etc. Withought any luck. I'll just have to keep it clocked back a bit in order to run it stable. Thanks for the help though :D

heres a long shot but see what ram you are using.......
stable below 100 mhz.....could it be pc 66?

Back