• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cable modem woes/ resetting internet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hellrazrblade

i have roadrunner (cable internet by time warner). the modem is right behind me plugged into the wall and it goes directly to my computer. my internet has a habit of dieing all the time. the modem will just all of the sudden disconnect (top light goes out). it happens whether the computer is on or off, whether i'm using it or not. it has been getting worse. i'm gonna make them give me a new modem pretty soon. does anyone know if cable signal boosters help on cable internet at all? right now i have to unplug, mess with the modem at least once a day.

also, if the modem disconnects and i unplug it and it reconnects, my computer doesnt recognize the connection and i have to reboot to get internet connection again. i found a work around: disabling and re-enabling the network card. is there a way i can make windows automatically recognize that the modem is functioning again?

thanks in advance!

Call the company and get them to come and run a new wire into your house and connect it directly to your cable modem. I was having the same exact problem and that fixed it. You probably have the older wires that don't let enough of the signal through. Good Luck!

I have had a problem very similar to yours with my Comcast cable service. They must have replaced my modems five times before realizing that it was actually a faulty wall cable jack causing the problem. After turning a modem on and off constantly they often die, a sysmbol of this is usually disconnecting randomly as you said. If your using a router try updating the firmware. Otherwise its probably a line(cable) problem.

alright, thanks guys. last time i called them, i set up an appointment and they never showed or called, so i'll see what i can get them to do this time. (they used to have an "on time or $20" policy, but it died... probably because they woulda gone broke)

does anyone know about the software issue described above?

Back