• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.9v safe longterm for corsair xms3200 c2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nard

Registered
i have my vdimm at 2.9v so i can get it to run 222mhz (ddr444) with cas 2-2-2-7-1t

im wondering how safe it is longterm. and since corsair warantee only goes up to 2.8v, im not sure if i should lower it back.

at 2.8v i can only get 2-3-3-7-1t

If it's stable at the speed you want with 2.9v, I would keep it that way. That's just me though.

I don't even own DDR but from what i've heard, it's pretty much luck when it comes to how long the memory lasts -- it could last for years and it could last for months (most likely somewhere in the middle).

I remember Ed conducted a small survey via email about this (ie overvolting memory and how long it lasts) and the results were skattered (from what I remember) meaning that there was no conclusive evidence that overvolting significantly reduced the life of ram (ie you overvolt it and it burns out the next day).

well everything seems stable. ive run prime95 for 2 straight days. and no errors. so i dont think ill touch anything on the cpu/mem side hehe. gonna start on my vid card when it arrives.

I'd say its fairly safe long-term but I wouldn't go much higher. Corsair says that anything over 2.8V will void the ram's warranty. I remember Ed conducting the same survey that Fluxer mentioned, the results were inconclusive. I personally have been running my Corsair XMS3000 at 2.85V for about 5-6 months and haven't experienced any problems as of yet.

Back