• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Checking an Unlock on AMD XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pirate252

I do have a mulimeter, and i dont know how to check to see if i have unlocked it prior to putting the cpu back in, does anyone know how to check, or could send me to a place that tells me?

Thanks

Matt

P.S. i have a amd xp 1800+

Check the resistance between the two sides. A complete ciruit should have very little resistance. However, this is no garuntee- best way it to boot it up and find out. Since you are not doing wc, it should be a big deal. If its not unlocked, it shouldnt do any harm.

nealric said:
best way it to boot it up and find out. Since you are not doing wc, it should be a big deal. If its not unlocked, it shouldnt do any harm.

Yup, man speaketh the truth... many bad unlocks one day forced me to get real good at it after swapping my AX-7 out 4 times in 30 minutes! lol

Hehe. I had already chucked all my heatsinks out the window by the time i unlocked. I had to take that stupid waterblock out 5 times before I got my unlock right.

Took me 6 tries to get mine unlocked tonight. No multimeter and an Sk-7... After the third try I just half clipped the fan on (My Mobo WILL NOT post a changed cpu speed. I could have my cpu at 99million megahertz and It'd still say 1800+ on the post. So I had to load Windows and check MBM for my mhz.) Also... I needed a comp up half the time I was working so every time I took the 1800+ I was working on out, I put my new 2100+ in. Total of 10 or so Heatsink clippings. Woot me. Im unlocked now though. Running at xp1900+ speed... gonna work on dropping multi and pushing fsb later tonight. Anyone know about how high an asus a7v-333 can go fsb without any mod's? I've seen people who claim they can't get past 138 and others who get around 180. I KNOW I can get at least 150 stable. And I think my cpu held me back after that. Well I'm gonna find out. Next buy is a stick of 512 pc3200 cas 2... then an abit or epox kt333 mobo to get the insane fsb. (Might have to get a louder cpu fan... damn.)

Lithan said:
Took me 6 tries to get mine unlocked tonight. No multimeter and an Sk-7... After the third try I just half clipped the fan on (My Mobo WILL NOT post a changed cpu speed. I could have my cpu at 99million megahertz and It'd still say 1800+ on the post. So I had to load Windows and check MBM for my mhz.) Also... I needed a comp up half the time I was working so every time I took the 1800+ I was working on out, I put my new 2100+ in. Total of 10 or so Heatsink clippings. Woot me. Im unlocked now though. Running at xp1900+ speed... gonna work on dropping multi and pushing fsb later tonight. Anyone know about how high an asus a7v-333 can go fsb without any mod's? I've seen people who claim they can't get past 138 and others who get around 180. I KNOW I can get at least 150 stable. And I think my cpu held me back after that. Well I'm gonna find out. Next buy is a stick of 512 pc3200 cas 2... then an abit or epox kt333 mobo to get the insane fsb. (Might have to get a louder cpu fan... damn.)

look at my sig, 173mhz fsb and kinda high cpu temps (yeah ill reaply AS3, when i unlock the chip;) ) and its perfectly stable, no modding at all.

I have your same plans, corsair pc3200 cas 2 and 200Mhz fsb, easy as that. If the FSB is holding me back, i can buy a cheap 40MM fan and attach it to the FSB HS, that should do the trick.

Back to the topic, ive just ordered the unlocking kit with the magnifying glass, heard ppl succeeding on their first attempt being complete n00bs.

i have that same kit, and after 3 tries, still no luck on unlocking, and im a newb to all of this, so its not THAT easy...

matt

it shouldnt be that difficult, just follow instructions accurately. Ive heard lots of peeps succeeding their first unlock attempt, ill be the next one, just try again ye' pirate m8!!!

My first try, I could only get a 11 multipliar (base is 12.5). I got ****ed off so I removed all the stuff and now can only get a 11.5 lol.

Oh well, as of now, I'm sticking with my 11.5. Attaching my ax-7 was a pain in the @$$ so I don't know if I want to attempt to unlock it again. Plus, my mobo is stuck w/a 1/4 divider, so don't know how high I can go.

Shouldn't your motherboard have a 1/5 divider? I thought the KT333 chipset had that, wouldn't they need it to run PC2700 without throwing your PCI/AGP bus all out of whack.

Sold my AGOIA 0213 Y @1912 1.8v to my friend (begged me) and the new AGOIA 0224 9 i got will only do 1746mhz arrgg!

The first chip i unlocked with superglue in the pits and a light sanding with tweezer and bit of 600 grit. you couldn't tell it had even been filled. the gold contacts are recessed and you can sand it down flush. used tape and conductice pen. had to repaint several times because sometimes silver paint dries too thin and resistance is too much for XP.

2nd chip i used non-conductice paste (common RS white HS paste) in pits and hand painted silver ink with a pin. pin had to be at 45 degree angle. holding pin straight down, pin tip is too sharp, no ink flow. holding pin too flat and too big a blob of ink would flow, cross connecting. also had to repaint to thicken bridges once.

both ways worked.

used multimeter between dots. if .003 it was good .2 it was bad.
showed if bridges are good enough.
used multimeter between bridge and AMD Letters to see if any were accidently grounded

iceman2g said:
Shouldn't your motherboard have a 1/5 divider? I thought the KT333 chipset had that, wouldn't they need it to run PC2700 without throwing your PCI/AGP bus all out of whack.

The Soyo KT333's don't have a 1/5 divider :(

Back