• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec 430, 480, or 550?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathONator

I am ready to buy a new Power Supply. Antec is looking good so now I just need to choose how much beefyness I want. I want this PS to last me more than 5 years (at least 2-3 upgrades). How many watts will I need? Will we need more than 430W in 5 years? Which should I get?

Get a 5,000W Delta server PSU and never worry about power supply upgrades again, not even if you become like Captain Christopher Pike.

I looked inside some Antec TruePowers, and their transformers weren't as big as those in Sparkles or Deltas rated for less power (Delta even runs at a higher frequency, which usually allows for a smaller transformer). And considering Tom's glowing reviews for PSUs made by the same company, Fortron-Source, why bother with anything else when Directron and NewEgg have 350W Fortrons for about $40?

350 and 400? I need more power to satisfy my need for...my love machine... or something. I kinda want dual fans also.

Does anyone know about the 400W Macron PSs, they are AMD recommended for MPs, cost is around $48.

I can get the Antec True430W for $76 and the Enermax one for a little more.
Antec True480 for $94
Antec True550 for $105.

All I know is I want my power supply to have enough power for my system, until my power supply finally goes out.

I'm open to any and all GOOD suggestions.

vantec are better psu's, with their 1% rail regulation...which very much so justifies their price..id go with the 470...or the 520 watter...great psus

This review said that when a 420W Vantec was overloaded, it went pop and blew a fuse. After the fuse was replaced, it went bang when a capacitor blew.

Macron is low grade stuff.

alternative?

dollar for dollar, i found this psu to do the job, at just over half the price of some proven psu's. http://xtreme.routehero.com/mricee/images/myweb6/ttgi_review_1.htm

it's got a fan speed switch,low/med/and auto, and adjustable trim pot, and lots of stable power. it's got plenty of connectors, and most important...it is stable. don't buy anything that isn't stable. i'm not bashing antec, or enermax, i just can't see paying the price. read the review and see what you think.

is anyone has any comments on this psu in the review, let me know, because i use that psu, and it is working great. see sig...:burn: :burn: :burn:

RangerJoe said:
vantec are better psu's, with their 1% rail regulation...which very much so justifies their price..id go with the 470...or the 520 watter...great psus

I've yet to actually see this on Vantec's site. Although going through their online manual for the 420 they clearly state 5%.
http://vantecusa.com/van420.PDF Go down to the Output Voltage Load Regulation 3.2.1

Now I could be reading that wrong, and if they truly do have 1% that's great (gives me more ammo to take to the higher ups).

However I'd think that'd be one of those key points they'd emphasize more.

edit: Opps just below that though they have another table, for Voltage Line Regulation. Looks like I'll have to do some research on what the difference is.

AntecRep

yea, that has caused quite a bit of wondering around here...i cant remember, but someone called vantec, and their actual regulation is 1%...ill look around and see what that 5% means though

I watched the video, but no real information was presented about the Vantec's performance, except for fan noise, and the host provided no evidence to back his conclusions. Did you see any? But I did come away with an even more negative opinion about Vantec because their 550W PSU is rated for just 260W combined power, only 15W more than my 300W. Admittedly, low % combined power isn't a sure sign of bad quality, but it has been a good predictor with many other brands.

In contrast, Silent PC Review used a special power supply testing machine on the 420W Vantec and took it to the max (and even beyond, by accident, which proved that PSU was of faulty design), sort of the way Tom's Hardware did.

Which type of review would you be more likely to trust?

Last edited:
the company website is worthless...and doesnt give you any extra information on the psu.

there is no way of knowing if the line regulation is 3%, 5% or more.

like in the review, they lost a point for the way of raising voltages..which requires you to void your warranty..why dont they just start out of high voltages? the other psus dont need to have this, so why does this one, esp because of its bad placement

i'm not sure what you're saying, or if you are even replying to my post, but afa the trim pot, i will be the forst to tll you that if you have perfect voltages on one board, they may be different on another. they are good on my at7-max2, but the 5 volt rail comes up short on my at7-max, so, i like the trim pot to adjust the voltage to my liking, up or down....

also you said: like in the review, they lost a point for the way of raising voltages..which requires you to void your warranty..why dont they just start out of high voltages? " which doesn't really make complete sense to me at all. i'm not bashing you, i just don't get your point, if there is a point.

My antec 550 true holds all my voltages perfect. I'm going to be running my water cooler off it too or I probably would have gone with the 480.

I got mine from buy.com it was $102 but I found a coupon at fat wallet for $10 off at buy.com so the total was $92 for an antec 550 true power not bad.

well, then read this review and tell us what you guys think"

It's more like a fashion article than a real test. The amp draws at idle and "load" weren't specified, which is like giving acceleration times for a car without mentioning the speed.

So far, all the badly done reviews like Vantec PSUs, while the one halfway decent review reported a problem with one.

Back