• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stupid question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prettycoolguy47

I'm in the process of upgrading my girlfriends PC from a celeron 700 to a PIII 933(freebie). She's currently running crucial PC100 and I am aware that the 933 operates on a 133 bus. Will the crucial still be ok, she won't be overclocking.

Well, if you will be running the bus speed at 133, then you will be overclocking that RAM, as it is PC100.

It is true that with the 933 you will be technically overclocking the memory to 133Mhz. I can attest that all of my Crucial PC100 sticks that I have bought in the past were able to run at PC133 speeds. It could not hurt to try. Also, depending in your motherboard, I know some of them were able to run the memory at Host Clock-PCI bus speed. With at 933 PIII, that would be 133-33=100Mhz. You didn't mention what motherboard you are using so I can not give a definite answer as to whether your motherboard supports that option, but it is worth looking into. I will say that for best performance, you will definitely want to try running your memory at 133 as it will yield better performance.

Geoff

Unfortuantely the memory will have to run, or at least try to be run at 133fsb. It's a Abit BE6 II 1.0. I'll give the crucial a try and see how it workds out. Thanks guys!!

Here on OC-Forums there are no stupid questions.... the only stupid question is the question that was not asked...
(Don't take that, that's my quote! :D)

Back