• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

120mm fan positioning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dr3w

Sorry to post yet another thread on where to place fans- but i just want your opinions on the best way to do this.

Basically my current case side is a sheet of card with a duct over cpu and one 80mm case fan over gfx card.

i recently got a smartfan2 and tried to run the pc with side on and very quickly the temp increased as there are NO additional fans in my full tower.

Now i want to get some 120mm fans and cut my actual case- and do away with the duct (maybe)

below are two different fan placements- which do you think would be better-and do u thinki even need TWO on the side?

option1.jpg

option2.jpg

i also plan to put a 120mm exhaust above the psu
option3.jpg

as i have few pci cards i could even have one fan over the gfx card area and the second rigth over the cpu. let me know what u think is best.

:D

the second picture, with one over your gpu and one over your cpu. the exhaust above the psu is a good idea as well.

Good luck and remember, Measure, Measure, Measure!!! you dont want to have 4 holes which dont align with the fan or find out later that youre out by an inch to where you thought you were cutting!!! :D (i've never done this, honest!)

Willem. :cool:

thanks- i have the option of a dremel, or a drill with 114mm hole saw.

having never cut a case before im not sure which is best- but it seems less can go wrong with the hole saw.

what u think- drill or dremel?

drill would be eaiser and faster in my opinion...but then again its a little shy of the fan size...so depends, you want it perfect, or do you quick?
-Dae-

Back