• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Playing with fire.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vez

Registered
After having my VFD mounted in a cardboard box (yeah, go on, laugh) and sitting on my desk, i deceded, "screw it, i'm gonna mount it on my case"

soo, i measured around the case to get a perfect fit, drilled holes, dremmeled out the area i wanted the VFD to sit, mounted the VFD and screwed it all in.

Making sure all the wires were properly connected, i plugged it in to the PSU Molex, put on my case, looked at it and thought "Sweet"

Switched on the pwer......looked at the VFD.....it was still off.....

i thought "crap" pulled the plug at the back and lifted off my side panel, to be greeted with a plume of dark smoke and melted wires.

<laughs>

maybe next time i will insulate the metal of the VFD from the metal case <doh!>

i just hope the damned thing still works.....

:D

~Vez

Thankfully, there was no damage done to the PC at all, a few melted wires where the VFD was connected to the molex. i haven't got around to plugging it back in to check if it works tho, lol

~Vez

VFD: Vacum Flourescent Display (sp?)

check out rabid hardware for their guid on the BG Micro VFD, 20 x 2 char, 20 USD

;)

~Vez

did the same thing with a led chaser, except it wasn't as bad, all that happened was some wires melted

I did something like that with a 12V/7V fan switch on my old Dell case.

I'm surprised the wires melted and yet the computer didn't shut itself off. I guess the Dell PSU didn't have short circuit protection.

yeah, my PC didn't auto shut down either, reckon the PSU manufacturers didn't think about short circuits too much, the only damage that seems to be done by botches like this are a few melted wires so it can't be that big a problem (i wonder, if i touch the case while it's shorted.......<evil grin> )

Anyways, gonna save up and get a decent case before i go making any mods again, need to check this VFD make sure it's working.....

Do any of you guys know if it's possible to pick up a power supply that doesn't use the little circle shaped thing as a connector? i wanna hook it up, avoiding having to wire it to the PC again, just to make sure it works.

Thanks for the responses ;) nice to know someone cares. lol

~Vez

Back