• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what else can i do(the full story)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
S

saint

well here i go
i bought a new amd based system with athlon 1.3(not o/c) and asus a7v-e motherboard
i also got cooler master hsf and one 80cm intake case fan at lower front
outtake at back and 300wat psu also outtake
my temps were 57c idle 62c full load mb temps 40c
so i asked in your great forum(really great)and was told to get a better hsf
globalwin wbl-38 with delta fan this LOUD baby got my temps to:48c idle and 54-55c full load
mb temps 35c
but i couldnt just couldnt stand the noise from the fan so i replaced it with my coolermaster
quieter and less effective fan this got my temps to 55c idle and 59-60 full load mb temp 38c
i also tried to replace the thermal pad with thermal compound of no name and the temps stayed the same
then i replaced my mb to asus a7v133 and still temps are the same
if i open the side case i only get 1c drop in cpu and mb temps
the last thing i havnt tried is ARCTIC SILVER 2.
so what else should i do or leave things like that and never o/c?
hope youll help me

Maybe something between those HSFs, how about a FOP-32 or something better than the Coolermaster that does not have the Delta. You can also put a different fan on your WBL-38. Another option is to look at water cooling.

Almost forgot, I keep hearing that the Asus probe is a little high in the temps it reports. You might want to invest $15 in a thermal probe to see what you are really getting temp wise.

My 1.2 non-OC is running at 43c right now. Which is exactly the same temp as the one I fried 2 days ago. And how did I fry that other one? By being obsessed with my temp being too high and changing this and that around, adding fans, changing HSF to a couple different ones and inadvertantly damaging my core. I'm still waiting for my cas2 memory from crucial, should be here tomorrow and I'm gonna kick it up after that. If its stable, great, but I'm not going to be so pyschotic about my temps in the future. If you have a good HSF, good airflow, good memory, just run it and see what it does! I think people are putting too much stock into the readings received from built in thermistors and they just arent accurate enough or consistent enough between different mobo's to be trusted.

I think it may be better to get an idea how many degrees its safe to go over on temperature for an OC. Just as an example, say a max increase in 10c when you OC 200-300mhz. Sure, use the temp you get from your built in thermistor, but only use it as a starting point to count up how many degrees you are gaining from the OC. Its quite obvious to me now that all of these non-OC systems with adequate cooling arent truly running these greatly varying temperatures.

I kind of went on a rant there, did that make sense? :)

One thing i've learn't. If you know your hsf is very good and you put decent thermal compound on and your still getting bad temps then...

It must be ventilation or ambient temps. If you live in a hot area then your temps are going to be higher anyway. Make sure your case has good fans in it or run your comp without your case on. Another thing that helps is getting a bigger case or cable management.

By this I mean tieing power cables together and rounding IDE cables etc.

Ridenow (Jul 15, 2001 04:10 p.m.):
Almost forgot, I keep hearing that the Asus probe is a little high in the temps it reports. You might want to invest $15 in a thermal probe to see what you are really getting temp wise.

Just how high is a little high? My ASUS A7V-E has never given me a CPU reading above 45c, now that I have my "Blow hole" installed in the case it tops out at 39c. Thats a hell of a lot lower than most of the ratings I've read here, especially if my numbers are lower that what the probe reports them as! For the record I'm running a Duron 800 @ 936 (117 X 8.0, I won't unlock it until I get some Silver to re-apply the CPU)

saint (Jul 15, 2001 04:00 p.m.):

hope youll help me

Read my post in this area titled "Good cooling!". Someone else posted a similar suggestion titled "Air Duct". They should help.

Good Luck.

saint (Jul 15, 2001 04:00 p.m.):

hope youll help me

Read my post in this area titled "Good cooling!". Someone else posted a similar suggestion titled "Air Duct". They should help.

Good Luck.

Why don't you let you NEEDS determine how drastic a cooling to implement on your Tbird? Try O/C it a bit. If you hit a ceiling somewhere and you're sure it's gotta be heat, then only use the noisier HSF or go do some serious case mods. Why are you so concerned about this when you haven't even started O/Cing? If your Tbird runs fine at say 70'C, sure it's an uncommon figure but heck it runs! Maybe it's gonna die of heatstroke within 3 years but what, you expect your Tbird to live forever? What you have here is a temperature problem (psychological) as opposed to a heat problem (physical).

Ok, most of this makes alot of sense... however I think that most are missing out of 1 MAJOR issue here, I presume that the HS is new? and unlapped? I would suggest doing this before going to any other extremes at this point. Believe me when I say that this alone can make this kind of difference. I had a brand new 1.2 Athlon, average temp was around 52C, i sanded down the HS real well, flattened it out, added some thermal grease, and the temp dropped to around 42C... yes 10 whole freakin degrees!!! I would say try this first, if that doesnt do it, then start looking into other options, but please, give this a try first... let me know how it goes I would like to see the results after this...

eobard (Jul 16, 2001 04:16 a.m.):
Ridenow (Jul 15, 2001 04:10 p.m.):

Just how high is a little high? My ASUS A7V-E has never given me a CPU reading above 45c, now that I have my "Blow hole" installed in the case it tops out at 39c. Thats a hell of a lot lower than most of the ratings I've read here, especially if my numbers are lower that what the probe reports them as! For the record I'm running a Duron 800 @ 936 (117 X 8.0, I won't unlock it until I get some Silver to re-apply the CPU)

The only way to know is to get another method of measuring temps. You can buy a thermal probe and attach it to the heat sink and compair the readings. AMDs testing requirements say to drill a hole in the heatsink so the probe is directly over the die. It really does not matter as long as the readings are consistant and you know that they could be a few degrees off.

Back