• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Strangeness of my Powmax 400...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fuzzbeaner

ok, I recently bought a powmax 400 watt. It's strong, and reliable, but it has the oddest problem...

It makes sounds

It makes a high pitched squealing, but I can deal with that, It's just the fan.

BUT when I click on "start" it makes a beeep
when I click on any other menu beeep

and then when a scrool in IE or whatever it makes a fissss noise

WHAT THE HECK

Last time I checked they didn't put speakers in powersupplies! So I need advice, what to do??

-Jeff

bump

interesting, are you sure the PSU is beeping? does it sound like the beep the motherboard makes? it would very odd to have a buzzer in a PSU. I am ordering the same PSU you have, and i will try it out 4 myself.

Be sure to put your ear upto it and try it. If it is the PSU you may be in for a problem. The "fissss" noise bothers me. Can you smell anything? You're right those are strange symptoms for a PSU.

Sometimes the transformer vibrates. My 300W Powmax and some other PSUs chirp at turn on/off, but I've had some bad PSUs chirp irregularly or even squeal continuously because of a fried electrolytic.

Some new PSUs just make the noise for a few days for no reason. I have dealt with a few PSUs like this to make the noise go away I just burnin the whole system to draw max volts and the noise just disappears.

Ok, it's still happening, and it's been a few months. Also during ANY 3d games. Thanks...

-Jeff

Yea, just to clarify, it is def coming out of the PS. I've unplugged my speakers, the pc speaker, and I've stuck my head into my case while it's running. I tell ya, it's the power supply. The noise is the worst during 3d games.

Thanks

-Jeff

Have you tried stopping the fans in the Powmax by sticking toothbrush handles through the vent grills (but don't leave them there for more than a minute, and don't use metal because right next to the fan is exposed high voltage!)? I was told that a lot of times the whistle or chirp comes from one of those wirewound donuts right nex to all the wires coming out of the PSU. Coating it with varnish may help, but wait between coats so it can build up.

Back