• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two heatsinks + AS = Same results???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Greybeard49

Registered
Here is the data, first Coolmaster with 1.2 gig AMD on an Asus A7V133. From MBM5, board=32C, MP=45C, at Idle. no max load tests.
Next, Same rig with Goldgate HSF. Temps exactly the same.
Next Goldengate with AS2. Same temps. Note I can't beat this 11 to 13C difference between the board and the processor temp.
So if I take a box fan and put it at the side of my open case I can drive the board temp down to 26C and the processor down to 42C. So board drops 6C and the CPU drops 3C.
Now I would have said that the heatsink isn't contacting the CPU but when I take the HSF off there is almost no compound on either the HSF or CPU where they make contact. Therefore the only conclusion I can make is I have a very bad junction between the CPU core and the top of the CPU. This is the only thing that makes sense to me. Is this true??
One last note, if the temp sensor hits about 55C, the system crashes, So if it hits 90f in the house, my system is dead. Any ideas?

keep the air conditioning on I see a 5c change from air to no air but I am also in the basement so thats even cooler than the rest of the house

The recent bios' on almost all motherboards using the in-socket thermistors add 10C to 15C to the actual thermistor readings to more closely approximate actual CPU temperature at full load and help compensate for the natural compression of an external measurement. If this is the case with your board, then the in-socket thermistor is actually reading your idle CPU temperatures as approximately the same as your motherboard temperatures.

At a true idle, your CPU will produce less than 10 watts of heat. Sometimes this is not enough for heatsink or thermal compound changes to cause a temperature Delta given the compression of the in-socket thermistor.

The performance of the cooling components under load is what counts.

Nevin

Nevin (Jul 16, 2001 08:29 p.m.):
external measurement. If this is the case with your board, then the in-socket thermistor is actually reading your idle CPU temperatures as approximately the same as your motherboard temperatures.

At a true idle, your CPU will produce less than 10 watts of heat. Sometimes this is not enough for heatsink or thermal compound changes to cause a temperature Delta given the compression of the in-socket thermistor.

The performance of the cooling components under load is what counts.

Nevin

The temps with ASUS probe are 10C higher if that is what you are refering to. If I generate heat the board hits about 55C and then shuts down? I didn't think AS2 needed a burn in to activate it, does it?

Back