• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have question about fan controllers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JRWYW

Registered
Hi, I'm putting together a new system for christmas. I was planning to get a Digital Doc5 fan controller to keep noise down and to monitor temps. However upon closer inspection I found out that the DD5s power output is very low, and it has itty-bitty 3-pin connectors for the fans.

I was planning on running 2 120MM fans and 3 80MM fans with it but now I don't think it will have enough power. Can anyone tell me if their is something better? Or am I just worrying about nothing?

JW

I always say just build it yoyurself, that way you get what you want and power output is directly from the PSU and tte only diference is that there is a resistor slowing things down. Nut the digi dock is nicer looking, when you build it yorself you can use a bezel from your case so it matches.

I would reccomend you not buy the dd5. It does not slow fans like a rheostat would. It just turns them on and off depending on temps. And you have 8 temp probes and 8 fan leads that adds up to too many wires to control. and you would be running all those fans off of 1 molex connector. It would not be wise. I suggest a vantec fan controller. More suited to your needs and cheaper and better looking and more power and and ........I wish I would have waited to buy a rheobus. Damn anyone want to buy my pcmods rheobus? Check it out or look at the Vantec Nexus multi panel if you want temp monitoring.

building your own is a watse of time and money.. for just fan control check out the Vantec Nexus, it doesnt use rheostats but uses Pulse width modulation which doesnt waste energy into heat.

the cost of good 17 w rheostats is like 10 bucks a piece and 4 is 40 when you could buy the nexus for 29.

Will the Nexus have enough power for the fans? Doesn't it have the same 3-pin connectors as the DD5?

I plan on running 2 120MM and 3 80MM fans.
I don't want to melt anything from an underpowered fan controller.

What I really want is something to Monitor temps, and when they get too high it increases fan speed. A manual override for the fans would be a plus.

Thanks for the help. :D :D :D

Back