• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Bang For the Buck

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FunkDaMonkMan

I'm building a computer for my cousin who is on a tight budget.

What is the best performing video card around $50.

I was looking at a Radeon 7500, but I don't know how well those perform.

Thanks...

I don't think I want to mess with e-bay.

this is going to be an x-mas gift from my aunt to my cousin.

I'd go with a 7500 or even a refurb 8500 if you can find one at Newegg. Your cousin won't be able to run the most demanding games at super high resolutions, but either of those cards will give good results none the less.

Lt. Max said:
i saw refurb ti500 in newgg for 44 bucks b4... mab u can get refurb 8500 for about same..

good luck yuou have to scour way to regularly for that

7500 will do , or a G2 Ti200 of some flavor but the 7500 offers more and supports a few DX 8 features not all though

cisco kid

My Niece and her husband picked up a box I put together for them today. It was based upon my old A7V333, a 512MB stick of generic PC2700, an XP1800 running at 10x166 and my old Radeon 7500. When they came to get it, I had it all set up and running. I fired off 3D Mark Demo and they stood there with their mouths agape. It really is a good performer for the money. Not overclocked, it turned in a handsome 5860 score in the benchmark at the default settings. I think their old PC had a GF2 MX200 or something of that caliber and they were very happy with their investment. I took them downstairs to my personal box, (see signature) and ran the same demo. Theirs and my eyes could not see a difference.

I realize the 3D Mark demo and benchmark are not necessarily indicative of all the demands todays 3D games can make upon a system. These are down-to-earth people who make the PC serve them, not vice versa and I doubt they will ever run a synthetic benchmark, let alone care that my box gets 10,000+ versus their 5860.

As I have always said, if you can't see the difference, don't pay for it and above all, keep in perspective that the purpose of your PC is to spend its time serving you, not vice versa.

Hoot

Hoot said:
My Niece and her husband picked up a box I put together for them today. It was based upon my old A7V333, a 512MB stick of generic PC2700, an XP1800 running at 10x166 and my old Radeon 7500. When they came to get it, I had it all set up and running. I fired off 3D Mark Demo and they stood there with their mouths agape. It really is a good performer for the money. Not overclocked, it turned in a handsome 5860 score in the benchmark at the default settings. I think their old PC had a GF2 MX200 or something of that caliber and they were very happy with their investment. I took them downstairs to my personal box, (see signature) and ran the same demo. Theirs and my eyes could not see a difference.

I realize the 3D Mark demo and benchmark are not necessarily indicative of all the demands todays 3D games can make upon a system. These are down-to-earth people who make the PC serve them, not vice versa and I doubt they will ever run a synthetic benchmark, let alone care that my box gets 10,000+ versus their 5860.

As I have always said, if you can't see the difference, don't pay for it and above all, keep in perspective that the purpose of your PC is to spend its time serving you, not vice versa.

Hoot

So true and well said!!

cisco kid

you could get a geforce4 mx for about 50 bucks , not sure if it beats the 7500 thogh

kewl.. thanx guys... I"ll go w/ the 7500.

If I could just get newegg.com to let me put stuff in my basket, I'd order it right now.

whenever I click "add to cart" on ANYTHING .. it brings me to my empty basket. :(

FunkDaMonkMan said:
kewl.. thanx guys... I"ll go w/ the 7500.

If I could just get newegg.com to let me put stuff in my basket, I'd order it right now.

whenever I click "add to cart" on ANYTHING .. it brings me to my empty basket. :(

they had problems earlier to things were showing but after they were phoned it appeared to be a mistake on some pricing thats why items could not be added to basket. Hopefully it is corrected soon for you

cisco kid

Back