• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for new cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

57sty

Registered
iam just get in to the oc seen. and looking to build a new box . whats the best cpu & mb to get . iam looking for something that will last a while thx

Right now the c1 p4s are hot. 2.4s and up are c1 everywhere i think. And you might be able to get a 1.8 by ordering a dell, lol.

Everything depends on how much you want to spend though. Maybe you will be content with spending $600 on a 3ghz p4.

I'd say go for a 1.8A or 2.26B a little later, perhaps after christmas when the C1 stepping of these are more abundant, cause the C1 stepping is really promising and it's not that long to wait...

Depends what you want faster means more $$$.

For the ease of overclocking a Northwood Pentium 4 is the best.
Also a 1600+ is a good Cheap chip and overclocks farly well however takes a lot more than a P4.

If you get a P4 and want It to be the fastest it can be then Invest in RAMBUS which is not cheap. DDR is getting there in speed and Is best for super high FSB speeds close to 200mhz.

It is not just the chip that is the speed of the system it is also the motherboard and Video card as well as the Harddrive. To find out more about each part I would Post threads in each of the forums.
ie... Storage, and both Intel and AMD Motherboard forums.

Also do lots of reaserch on what you want and what you wnat to do with it. :p

Remember Overclocking if for the fun of it !

O yes.......

Welcome to the Forums!

I second Mr. $T$, I'd say go for some half descent ram, Kingston, KingMax, Mushkin, Crucial, if you got the money Corsair (definitely the best). If you want to overclock well PC2700 is minimum if you go DDR, PC3200 would definitely help. All comes back to how much money oyu wanna spend. WD SE with 8mb cache is definitely worth it cause it's onyl like 20 bucks more than the other name brands. Asus P4PE is good, Abit BD7 II is good, Gigabyte 8IEXP is good... As for Video cards, go for Radeon 9700 Pro if you can, if not go for Radeon 9500 Pro, if not go for the TI4600 and if you can't for that, go for a TI4200.

thanks for the input .as for how much i will spend i dont care as long it good parts and going to last me while

well i can sell you a AMD 1700+ with an alright motherboard to go with it and 129mb of pc 133 sdram.........ive had it for a month and its been great...but i couldnt pass up a cheap offer for a celeron 1.7 and motherboard combo......i need to just figure out how to overclock it......im going to be receiving it in the mail soon.
so let me know....we can work out a price

lilstonecapone said:
well i can sell you a AMD 1700+ with an alright motherboard to go with it and 129mb of pc 133 sdram.........ive had it for a month and its been great...but i couldnt pass up a cheap offer for a celeron 1.7 and motherboard combo......i need to just figure out how to overclock it......im going to be receiving it in the mail soon.
so let me know....we can work out a price
First off welcome to the forums.
I think you should review the rules of OC forums. We have a rule about placing for sale ads. They are to be placed in the classified section. It takes 100 posts to do that. Spamming your way to the 100 posts is not an option either. Please review the posting rules and enjoy your time here at the OCs forums!
Hawk

although althlonxp aren't as much of a mem bandwidth hog as the P4s, even the 1700+ will need more bandwidth than a PC133 can provide... so it isn't worth it at all, it would be a waste of the cpu...

Back