• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking at dul boot with a cool OS for expirence with one...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrashOveride

1. waht is a good Newbi OS and a cool one at that! and free... there are other free open source ones right? it isnt all M$ like epheisi on the "$" right?
2. what file system tyoe is it (FAT32, NTFS, etc.)
3. should there be any conficlt swith me making a partiction using parition magic, then installing it to that ne wapartion....
4. some tutorial site for installatioing etc. of that OS
:D :eh?: :D

EDIT:: wow... maybe i should have read before posting tis... oh welll....

Last edited:
OS

Linux- distributions like Mandrake, Redhat and Suse are newbie-freindly. Although there's been a trend to try out Gentoo recently. Its harder to setup, but easy to manage. other so-called easy distros include caldera and lycoris. While some more advanced distros include debian, slackware, and LFS.

You can create unpartitioned space with partition magic. Then when you install a linux distro, it'll offer aits own parittion utility and its own filesystems.

I'd go with 10gb total for linux: 100mb for /boot (ext3 filesystem), a few hundred mb for /swap, 7-9 gb for for / (ext3 filesystem or reiserfs), and maybe a small vfat aka FAT32 partition for sharing files between linux and windows.

you'll probably find a link to each distro's own site where you go to download the ISO's. Some helpful links: www.linux-iso.com www.linuxnewbie.org

Last edited:
as far as pure coolness factor i would say Redhat 8.0 is great, the gui is beautiful and my Ati drivers installed flawlessly according to Ati's own instructions. Unless you are making a commitment to Linux i would suggest only 3 gigs for Linux, 2.5 formatted in ext3 and 500 formatted in swap, PM should be fine as should the distros partitioning wizard. Though if you are currently using ntfs i suggest as Arkaine23 does that you make a fat32 partition so you can share files between windows and linux as linux still has beta ntfs support. You dont need a tutorial, if you can install WindowsXP you can most probably install Redhat or Mandrake without a problem, it does everything for you, you just have to know your video card and monitor thats all.

wow! i need to read up a bit... most of that dosnt make much sence... i think i might DL them both (they are Both free and DL able right?) this weeekend since i have access to cable it think... so i lemme get this straigh... i should make ~10GB of unpartionted (i have the space) and then us e another thing to partition that into Lunix usable space.. then have another partioitn that is really big for file sharing? oh and whzt kinda stuff will i prolly use Lunix for? jsut web browsing stuff? dose it suppost many games?:D :eh?: :D

any one know of a REALLY good server to DL it from? today i ahve acces to 600KBs dl speeds.. i wanna finish as much as i can of it today cuz im usualyl 56k:D :eh?: :D

ediT : OH AND DO I dl iso's or what?

I usually get about 100KBs from most servers, maybe about 200KBs if you get lucky.

I don't think they are any that can reliably give you 600KBs. But even at 100KBs it shouldn't take too long.

Yes, iso's are what you want. Which iso's depend on which distro.

well... its cable adn my freinds is only used by him an dabout one other person.. so he gets REALLY fast bls... it tests at 2Mbits a sec. ./. well now im dlin g3 ISO s for mandrake... hop ethey finish before i have to leave...:D :eh?: :D

yeah! My cable! WOOT! Hooray for ATT and their inability to accurately guage how many ppl in my neighborhood want broadband! Ahem... anyway, thanks for those linux links, I am interested in linux (mostly on an academic level) and they are pretty nice.

Well the cable can be as fast as you want, but if the server on the other end only wants to give you files at 100k/s thats all you are going to get.

he DOSE get fast speeds... you can have 2 people DLIng some... ehhem... pictures... and someone DLing Lunix ISO's and varisoue themes for windowz media playa and win XP and both browsing an dstill get decent speeds.. it really fast

he look! i sorta (kinda) thread jacked my own tread! incredible...:D :eh?: :D

Maybe he gets fast speeds, but the bandwidth is often limited by the server your downloading from, as XWRed1 said. After all, there are probably many downloads going on at the same time. Im my experience, you can't really expect more than 200KBs.

which is why i was asking or a good sever... the one i found only did about < 40-70 KBps for all 3 so... i guess ~150Kbps total.. not too bad... well im back at home on my 56 K now... got all 3 CD's except for the last 30 MB or so of the first CD... meh that should take a night=:)( :eh?: :( :D

Yeah, we know that the speed is limited by the server as well as your connection, but my connection is rarely a limiting factor. I basically have my entire neighborhood's pipeline to myself, since everyone around here is a technophobe.

the minor details needed for even easy distros

CrashOveride said:
wow! i need to read up a bit... most of that dosnt make much sence... i think i might DL them both (they are Both free and DL able right?) this weeekend since i have access to cable it think... so i lemme get this straigh... i should make ~10GB of unpartionted (i have the space) and then us e another thing to partition that into Lunix usable space.. then have another partioitn that is really big for file sharing? oh and whzt kinda stuff will i prolly use Lunix for? jsut web browsing stuff? dose it suppost many games?:D :eh?: :D

Free some gb of space
Boot off the cd you made for the distro
Partition about 100mb for the /boot partition. I recommend ext3 filesystem. Make a swap partition. This is just like windows swap file and its actually a partition of unpartitioned space, designated for swap. You probably only need 200-400 mb. The rest is for your root partition where the operating system and programs and files go. This is usually ext3 although if your distro supports it you could also use reiserfs. If you're dual booting with windows, and windows is NTFS, you may want to make a seperate vfat (FAT32) partition for sharing between them. I usually call my vfat partition /data and make it 4-7gb, and my root partition about the same or slightly larger. But it depends on what you want to share between them.

You'll be given a choiuce of boot loaders- LILO or GRUB or you can make a bootdisk and boot from a floppy everytime. If I dual-boot, I just do a boot disk and don't bother risking any weirdness. If its an all linux system either grub or lilo are fine.

You'll need to pick you packages (software). There's a lot of stuff and a lot of it you may never use. I don't even know or use half of it, so just browse thru it and decide what you think you might want. You can always install more packages later if you need to.

Uses for linux- Linux is great for most common uses. OpenOffice works exactly like M$office and can even use M$office documents. There are many web browsers to choose from. I usually prefer opera. You can run many windows applications with wine and even games, though winex is probably better for games. Those are emulators that make a windows-like environment for the apps/games to run in. You can play MP3s and movies and record CDs. You can fold in linux! There's really tons of apps out there, too many to list!

The trick is getting used to the command line, unix permissons, learning where to find help, getting the hang of 1 text editor and figuring out where all the config files are and setting them up the way they need to be. On distros like redhat, mandrake, et al... a lot of stuff is done for you or there are gui's to do it much like in windows. We're here to lend a hand if you need us.

I definitely recommend either Redhat or Mandrake. I have been using linux for years. Best way to do it is download the ISO's from Mandrake or Redhat. You can also buy it from Linux central for like 5 bucks. have some unpartition space (5gigs at least). Boot the installer from the CD at startup and then you can configure your partitions using the installer.

do you mind giving me the link to where you downloaded it? The only places i could find were like 10-20 kbps. Sux.:D

-CPFitz-

redhat link would be good too.:D:D

Back