• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2592 w TEC cooling.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bad Maniac

A friend of mine back home in the Swedish wilderness just told me about a system he's building...

He has an old ESAB LAE three phase to direct current welding transformer delivering 350amps at 24 volts (8400W psu) to power his 9 * 288 watts TECs. (marked at 12Amps at 24 Volts) giving a total of 2592 Watt of peltier effect cooling.

He will cool his pelts with a liquid cooling system consisting of multiple stages of cooling tanks. the medium at the moment is hyudralic fluid, but might be changed later on when the project is near finished.

The system will be moved with an old Scania Lorry that I helped him restore =) the transformer alone weighs 270 Kilograms... not your everyday psu *lol* and then the additional weight of the cooling tanks will need a lorry with a crane.

I will post some pics later on.

WHAT THE HECK COULD YOU COOL WITH THAT TYPE OF POWER??? I would be scared, seems like the temperature change of the processor core would make the thing explode or something.

holy PI double S!! hrmm I wonder if you'll have a condensation problem :) You could probably induce a rain storm with that power

It's going to cool an Alpha cpu HEAVILY overclocked. if anyone here has worked with alphas they know that those always work faster the colder they get.

and Yes its going to cost a fortune. the psu runs off 600volt industrial three phase AC. But since the waterpowerplant is on our land, they supply us with free electricity as a part of using our water rights =) a nice thing with living in the middle of nowhere owning a huge piece of land :D

If I were you I'd put that thing outside or your going to have your house turn into an industrial refridgeration unit within 4 seconds!!!
And another thing is with that much power running through that peltier the EMI is going to be so high that helicopters and planes will fall out of the sky for 45miles!!!

If by some act of god your cpu starts up, you will have a superconductor of a pc. Expect overclocking power in the 6Ghz range!!!

overkill does come to mind. But I want to see the pics!!!!

I wouldn't say overkill, since we all know that overclocking is about us wanting to be the best we can...and I doubt it is possible to get any better than this without some... well extremely extreme measures...

I'll keep you posted.
Here is a picture of the lorry.

Man i hope hes got a good job to keep the elec. bills paid. If you can shoot us a pic of the finished product as i know there are some (myself included) who are eager to see such a monster capable of cooling a moderatly sized apt. building.

Wow

Free electricity, a crap load of TECs, and one hell of a PSU.

I hope to god it's an MP Alpha unit (if such a thing exists)

There is a such a thing as overkill, and only 2 projects I've ever seen have managed to reach the title.

One... a project where they pumped liquid nitro cooled substance through a water block & submerged the rest in dry ICE & mineral oil. The BIOS gave out. Thus over-kill (notice the "Kill" part).

The second is this ;)
I hope he doesn't accomplish the "kill" part. But it's definitely Over... the top.

My guess was that he was going to use 1 (or 2) for the chipset, 1 (or 2) for the vid card, x amount for the proc, maybe chill the ram somehow? Perhaps a few to chill his Hdd's? I dont know the guy sounds a bit nutty if you ask me he could be pelting his nic thats how nuts this guy sounds. (Not in a disrespectful way of course but what would you call someone who moves their home to the north pole for cooler temps? Nuts.) You gotta respect his love for keeping his comp as cold as possible regardless of size/weight ect. All the power to ya brother! (your gonna need it to power that beast)

-OF

a few answers for you lot. All tecs will go on the cpu. and as to whether there is a cold plate out there that fits more than two pelts. Well in teh outback everybody more or less have their own machineshop on their backyard. so he'll make a coldplate custom for this projects.

I expect pretty much everything to be custom made. I'm expecting a few more preview pics, one of the BIG psu.

Bad Maniac (Jul 19, 2001 03:54 a.m.):
a few answers for you lot. All tecs will go on the cpu. and as to whether there is a cold plate out there that fits more than two pelts. Well in teh outback everybody more or less have their own machineshop on their backyard. so he'll make a coldplate custom for this projects.

I expect pretty much everything to be custom made. I'm expecting a few more preview pics, one of the BIG psu.

So will the TECs be stacked or placed side-by-side? Maybe you ought to have a particle accelerator built on your land and rent it out with all that free electricity...

probably a few side by side on the cpu and then the rest to cool those. He is in pre alpha planning stage still =)

Maybe you ought to have a particle accelerator built on your land and rent it out with all that free electricity...

Thanks for the sarcasm, but 2.5 kilowatt is not that much power. If I where to ask you guys how many of you have three or more compuiters running at home, I guess alot of you would raise your hands.
Well for your information, three psus is roughly 1 Kilowatt.
We are not talking alot of power here, and since he has a small carpentry already, his machines are already using far more power than that. just to give you a little info on it. think of that the next time you switch on your three or more comps at home.

Back