• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a few laptop questions...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

h20link

first of all, does anybody out there own a laptop w/ an ATI mobility 32mb (DDR) video card? I know laptops aren't really gaming machines but has anybody had any experience with that video card?

second of all, does anybody out there have any feedback on gateway laptops? they've got a 2.0 ghz p4 laptop for $999 right now, with that ATI card...it seems like a good deal but i'm a little leery of gateway stuff and i'd like to hear some real world feedback on their laptops...

thx,

h20

My dad has had two Gateways...a Pentium 120mhz and a PIII 1ghz. Both are still working fine.

As for grahpics, I've never used the mobility Radeon, but my laptop has I believe Savage8 graphics and I can do UT at 1024x768 at over 35fps.

I know, thats not great, but the Savage chips are notorious for hating 3d apps. On a PentiumII 350mhz with 256mb RAM and a Savage2000 32mb I got 150 3dmarks in 3dmark2000 :cool:

So my guess is the Radeon will do better than mine.

Mike

h20link said:
first of all, does anybody out there own a laptop w/ an ATI mobility 32mb (DDR) video card? I know laptops aren't really gaming machines but has anybody had any experience with that video card?

For whatever it is worth, my Vaio laptop has a rage mobility with 8MB of whatever it is (just a bit over a year old so SDR seems likely) and I can play Quake 2 on it with video artifacts. I wouldn't dream of playing anything new likt UT2003. Unless you want me to see if I can pull it off as a test that is.

nah i don't plan on trying ut2003 or ghost recon or something like that but i'd like to be able to do an occasional game of CS or HL...

Back