• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

o/c 2.4b

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

syz

Registered
well i started overclocking my new 2.4b ghz today, going up 5 fsb at a time, all fsb x 18 multiplier, at 145fsb (2.61 Ghz) I get 14041 pts in 3dmark2k1. Idle at 44* C. During 3dmark it peeks at about 55* C. Anyway I went to 150fsb (2.7 ghz) and half way through 3dmark it turns off. Going to bios it turned off a few times also. This is on stock hsf. I think I need a better hsf and some pc2700 DDR to go further and stablize. Any have any advice?

Definitely a better cooler. 55C load is too high. Maybe an Alpha PAL 8942 or a Thermalright AX478. I'm not really up on P4 coolers though, so you may want to do some research for yourself.

Better RAM couldn't hurt either. Maybe some Corsair XMS 3200 wouldn't be such a bad idea. That should take you as high as you need to go at CAS2 even.

The ram and temp are definitely holding you back, but before you start upgrading those things, check the CPU database to see how much 2.4B will clock cause i don't think think 2.4B was much of an overclocker, it's not like the 1.8A and 2.26B that can hit a 600mhz OC like nothing...

easy way to test lower temps is to open up the case and aim a large house fan at it. see if that helps you much. also relax all the timings on your memory. 55c is deffinaly hot. i bet theres more to be gotten

I have 2,4B B0 stepping and it is working at 1700Mhz (150Fsb) with 2 x 256 MB DDR 266Mhz (PQI) working at150MHz also, and it is workung quite well. On load t=39 - 40C max with Akasa AK670 Cooler.

2.4b and 1.8a same thing!!

Guys its the same CPU, B0 or C1 theyr the exact same thing, same multiplier same core, same everything, I think Hawk can confirm that, only diff is that the 2.4b has a low on one of the BSEL pins. Means it tell the mobo its a 133FSB CPU, but hey guess what, i have a 2.4b and my ABIT IT7 Max, thinks its a 1.8a. Hehehe, guess i paid an extra $200ca for a 1.8a thinking i was gonna get a 2.4b. Ohh well, in the future the only thing I'm gonna purchase are 1.8 C1s.

See my sig below to see my results orthis post for exact benchies.

Peace,

Kam

Re: 2.4b and 1.8a same thing!!

kamilkluczewski said:
Guys its the same CPU, B0 or C1 theyr the exact same thing, same multiplier same core, same everything, I think Hawk can confirm that, only diff is that the 2.4b has a low on one of the BSEL pins. Means it tell the mobo its a 133FSB CPU, but hey guess what, i have a 2.4b and my ABIT IT7 Max, thinks its a 1.8a. Hehehe, guess i paid an extra $200ca for a 1.8a thinking i was gonna get a 2.4b. Ohh well, in the future the only thing I'm gonna purchase are 1.8 C1s.

See my sig below to see my results orthis post for exact benchies.

Peace,

Kam

invalid command or filename :burn:

Back